Playing DVD rips?

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
RobotJerk

Playing DVD rips?

Post by RobotJerk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:41 am

I frequently rip DVDs using DVD shrink and store them on my hard drive, and then play the copied video folder back on my PC using Windows Media Center.

Is there any way to play this ripped video folders on my TV in another room, besides running a long-ass HDMI cable from my PC to my living room tv?

Are there any apps that'd let me play the ripped video folders on another device like a Chrome cast or a tablet?

Will the WMC extender on the Xbox 360 play dvd rips the way the PC version does?
Shwiggie

Re: Playing DVD rips?

Post by Shwiggie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Unless these rips are temporary, Plex Media Server is what I'd use. Now, I don't rip my stuff to folders, but I think it could work with them.

I installed the media server, put my files in folders set side for the server, renamed everything according to convention, and use the Plex Home Theater app on my other networked machines (HTPC, phones, tablet) to watch stuff. I don't know if there is one for Xbox but I could be wrong. My PS3 can see it natively. You can also use XBMC to view it using the Plex add on.
die

Post by die » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Xbmc would be so much easier.
There is another Skywalker....
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:45 am

^I knew THAT was coming.^

So, based on both of your responses, the question becomes how do I get XBMC on my living room TV without running a line from my PC? All I have in there is a PS3.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:17 am

PS3 has wireless built-in. You can configure Windows Media Player to access stuff, but it's probably best to use PS3 Media Server. It's what I used before jumping to Plex, and it's easy to get going with a PS3.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:25 am

Well, sure, I have used Windows Media Player to stream mp4 and wmv files to ps3 over the wireless router, but I am more interested in playing Video TS folders that were ripped from DVDs. Does Plex support that format? I don't like converting Video TS to mp4 because there is very noticeable drop in picture quality.

I have read that xbmc will play Video TS, but I don't know how to get that working on a ps3.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:33 pm

IIRC, both Plex and PMS do TS video folders. Just for future note, you might want to use makemkv instead of DVD Shrink if you're ripping without compression due to the convenience of MKV format and better support while still being free.
die

Post by die » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm

I bought one of those really small Acer PCs in the shuttle-case thingie. You can pic them up really cheap at Best Buy.

Mine sits sideways on the entertainment center shelf just like a cable box would and I use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It works perfectly. I do know some people who use a laptop and hook it up like that and even people who use their phone and a micro HDMI cable. A buddy of mine has a big ass custom PC that he uses and he just parks it beside the entertainment center (but he's a big PC gamer). There are lots of options. Also, the program itself has tons of options from screening or downloading or whatever you want to do movie-wise. It also handles games and music.

I have a Ouya with XBMC installed on it as well in my bedroom.

I used to rip DVDs myself back in the day. Trying to get around all the copy protection and having to deal with storage issues, etc. became a fucking headache. Since I've started using XBMC, I couldn't imagine going back to doing all that.
There is another Skywalker....
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:52 am

You can throw XBMC and/or Plex on a Raspberry Pi or any number of the stand-alone Android-powered single board computers out there, too. I built an HTPC for pretty much that same purpose, which was total overkill but a lot of fun. But since you actually have a PS3 you're already using for streaming, I would go with PMS for simplicity and the fact it runs pretty well on your current setup.

BUT...I'm not totally sure that a PS3 won't run TS files natively...according to this it is possible if you have them on a shared folder.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:09 am

die wrote:I bought one of those really small Acer PCs in the shuttle-case thingie. You can pic them up really cheap at Best Buy.
That's a really good idea.

I have yet to figure out why someone isn't marketing a relatively cheap HTPC with bluray player, remotes, and a TV tuner to compete with XBox One.

(Or are they?)
Shwiggie wrote:IIRC, both Plex and PMS do TS video folders. Just for future note, you might want to use makemkv instead of DVD Shrink if you're ripping without compression due to the convenience of MKV format and better support while still being free.
It have compression turned off on my DVD Shrink settings. The Video TS looks exactly like a DVD would in terms of picture, etc., when I play them back on Windows Media Center. I get my picture issues, and lose menus and bonus content, when I convert them to a video file with Handbrake.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:05 pm

If you have to have the menus then carry on. But if you can ever get past that then makemkv is your hookup. It's uncompressed: it just throws the titles into an mkv container that can be read by most other media players.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:03 am

Hmmm...I did not know that.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Shwiggie wrote:If you have to have the menus then carry on. But if you can ever get past that then makemkv is your hookup. It's uncompressed: it just throws the titles into an mkv container that can be read by most other media players.
I also recently found out that MkvMaker can be used to rip blu-rays.

Looks like I'm going to be busy for a while.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:53 am

Can't u just copy ur movies to a USB, and play that off ur ps3 (or TV if it has a USB input)

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:40 pm

Because it's easier to play it back this way once you get streaming set up.