Graphics Cards! WTF

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
Robert Paulson

Graphics Cards! WTF

Post by Robert Paulson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:35 pm

My old Nvidia card died yesterday and now I need something newer.

It was a 6600 GT. Anyone know of a good guide to tell me what the latest budget models are called that will still run games and do light 3d GIS work.

I look at those seemingly random model numbers on newegg and it makes my head spin.

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
Shwiggie

Re: Graphics Cards! WTF

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:05 am

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... ,3107.html

It mainly depends on what you want to spend, what sort of monitor you use, and what kind of rig you're putting it in. I just read a review of the 6600 GT...from 2004, and it wasn't that impressive then. Pretty much any card these days will top that one. If you're using that vintage card, your PC is probably pretty dated, too, so I wouldn't go hog wild for specs.
Robert Paulson

Re: Graphics Cards! WTF

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am

Thank man!

Yeah when I got it I wasn't trying to burn up the charts, but I was playing CS:source and TF2. I got a 22 inch LCD monitor and suddenly the setting needed to be turned down on the games. I'm going to upgrade my whole system at some point in the near future but for now I just need something that makes the monitor work and maybe plays a couple of games.

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.