Anybody here got a home theater computer?

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
Shwiggie

Anybody here got a home theater computer?

Post by Shwiggie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:15 am

If anyone has one, I'm curious as to what program you run it with and what uses you make of it. Do you use Windows 7, XBMC, or some Linux variant as the primary OS, and what do you use for DVD/Bluray playback? Do you record TV using it? What all do you have it attached to? Does it wipe your butt for you?

I built one late last year, primarily to watch all the videos I've downloaded over the years that don't stream well to the PS3 (i.e., HD MKVs). After months of putting up with random BSODs, I finally fixed it with a firmware update of the solid state boot drive, so now I can seriously use it and not worry that it's not worth the effort.
$nave

Re: Anybody here got a home theater computer?

Post by $nave » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:44 am

I bought a nettop with an excellent video card and it plays high definition content without any trouble. the performance is purely on the codexs used, and I was forced to use Windows 7 just because video played like shit with the codex that was available in linux.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:27 am

I had originally planned to go with Win7 using XBMC, since it was primarily a downloaded video player/old console emulator. Glad I went that route rather than trying to finagle a Linux box out of it...I'd have pulled my hair out trying to get it to work right only to find it never could. It's been enough of a pain with Win7.

If I had a faster connection (top out at 1Mbps if I'm lucky), I'd use the Windows Media Center more, as it offers some pretty good television content for free if you like CBS stuff. But now that I have my SSD situation ironed out, I can see about doing some XBMC action on top of it, since plug-ins help it integrate emulator front-ends in a seamless interface.
$nave

Post by $nave » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:48 am

I got XBMC as well. it runs like a champ. I got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It works pretty well.