Tablet opinions

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
RobotJerk

Tablet opinions

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:55 am

I'm thinking about getting an Android Tablet.

Thoughts....comments...warnings?
Shwiggie

Re: Tablet opinions

Post by Shwiggie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what I'd do with a tablet that I can't do better with another piece of technology. But if I were to say anything, it's be, "wait". The new Tegra 3 quad cores are just about to hit the shelves (first is the new Transformer from ASUS), and they're supposed to blow everything else out of the water. Then there'll be the flood of new tablets to follow that use that proc as a base. Old tablets will probably be available for a better price at that time.

Ordinarily, I hate the waiting game, but this one can pay off.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Well...my rationale is that a tablet blows laptops away in terms of battery life (also, laptops pump a lot of air out of their vents and are noisier than tablets), and can/will have all the same apps and most of the capabilities my android phone does, except without the tiny screen. I've started buying comics digitally and want a e-reader for them (and possibly books), but my phone's screen is too tiny and I don't like having to sit at my desk where my computer is to read them. A tablet seems like it'd solve all these problems. I was hoping I could tether it to my phone as well so I could get mobile internet (something I've tried and not been able to do with my laptop because of carrier restrictions).
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:47 am

If innerwebs is a key thing for you, you might be better off to get a tablet with a cellular connection. It'll probably be comparable with the tethering fees, unless you're looking to hack your way there...which is do-able, particularly if you have a custom ROM running on your phone, but it can prompt your provider to cornhole your data service.

If you're looking to read books, tablets aren't preferable to e-readers, which will have far better battery life and cause less eyestrain. But for comics, well, yeah, you'd need a tablet. That's really the best platform for that particular media, as I can tell you that it sucks to read them off a regular computer, whether it be desktop monitor, laptop screen, or HDTV.

I'm interested to find out how the new Amazon and B&N super-cheapo tablets pan out. My big issue with tablets has been the price delta between them and far more useful implements. For instance, I can't see buying a tablet from $500-800 when a laptop can be had for that much and be capable of much more. But buying one for $200, even if it isn't a barn burner (which it won't be), would be handy for email on the crapper and YouTube in the sack.

To revisit my recommendation, I still believe the best time to buy will be between Christmas and Easter based on the hardware cycle. The options will be so much better then, as the Android tablet market will be firmly in its third wave.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:36 pm

I'm noticing the new Nook tablet and Kindle Fire do about everything I want them to for half the price (and a smaller screen of course).

Apparently though the Kindle is carrying more DC stuff and the Nook is carrying Marvel stuff. And the Nook doesn't have the Comixology app (though rumored to let you use the web browswer to read their comics), and the Kindle lacks a memory card slot, so you can't load your own content onto it.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Somebody has Kindle Fire for 150 bucks, and Best Buy has the Transformer for 250 on Friday.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 pm

I ended up getting the Nook Tablet instead of the Fire because it has twice the memory and storage space. I will probably end up rooting it, since the number of apps available is pretty small.

edit: Fuck it. I ended up taking it back.