Android Phones

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !

Android Phones

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Finally got an android phone the other day (Samsung Galaxy S).

What do I need to know?

Re: Android Phones

Post by Shwiggie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:17 am

I've got an AT&T Samsung Captivate, which is a Galaxy S.

First, best recommendation: make sure you get it updated to Android 2.2 ("Froyo"). I think it still ships with version 2.1 ("Eclair") installed, and 2.2 is monumentally better. You can do the over the air update, use the Kies program (don't, it's crap), or flash a custom ROM (I did this, but it requires nerdity) doesn't matter, but it's the best thing you can possibly do from the get-go. I like the custom route since most involve lag-fixes and faster file systems that grease the skids on the thing and eliminate some of the dragginess some people notice with it.

You could try to put a custom ROM with some variety of 2.3 ("Gingerbread") on it, but I don't think there's any real benefit in doing so, and it's not quite ripe yet so you'd be dealing with a buggy situation that remains fluid.

The GPS was a major problem in the early goings with this phone, but there's been updates (both from Samsung and the development community) that have helped in this regard. Just know that GPS is questionable with this handset.

Also, don't overload on apps. Any you don't use a week or two after you download and install, or you don't have a planned or foreseeable use for, uninstall them. You'll thank yourself later.