protecting your shit from digital stds

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
Bloodrose

protecting your shit from digital stds

Post by Bloodrose » Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 am

What programs do you guys use to protect your computers from nasty viruses and other malware?

The reason I ask is because I was checking out one of Die's links in Area 69, and I was checking out an affiliate of an affiliate, and I got warnings about worms and viruses trying to fuck my laptop up. fortunately, Avast blocked that shit.

Here's what I use:

Internet Explorer 7
McAfee Security Center Firewall
Avast!
Windows Defender
Spybot Search and Destroy
Ad-Aware
SpywareBlaster
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Is there anything else you guys use to make sure you don't get digital std's from shady sites?
die

Post by die » Wed May 13, 2009 6:37 am

Spybot Search and Destroy is a classical favorite of mine. Also AVG.
There is another Skywalker....
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 pm

AVG ain't free anymore

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Wed May 20, 2009 2:09 am

Stop using Internet Explorer right now. Use Firefox or, my favorite, Opera. IE's a trojan nightmare and most likely the direct cause of your cited problem. The rest of what you have looks good.

AVG is still available for free, but it's not as good as Avast or especially Avira. I used Avast for a year because it updated faster than any of the others (important because I've been in dialup hell for seven years, until this past weekend PRAISE GOD), but I'm using Avira now, which is supposed to be the best free one out there right now.

I like Malwarebyte's AntiSpyware for malware prevention: it's free and updated regularly and is rated as the best. Ad-Aware's not what it once was, but unlike antivirus progs you can run multiple antimalware programs. Plus, you already have Defender running on top of all that. I'd veto Spybot S&D since it hasn't been updated in years, so any spyware from the past five years or so can get around it.

I have a DSL modem and router, so I have two computers between mine and the innerweb, so I'm not so big on firewalling. The built-in Windows Firewall should be good enough for that. Otherwise, I've used ZoneAlarm in the past. It's a PITA until you get it trained to know which programs it should use, and then it's alright. If you're happy with McAfee, leave it there.

Just keep Windows updated. Also, I use Secunia's personal software inspector to let me know when most of my progs need security updates.
Bloodrose

Post by Bloodrose » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:59 am

I finally got around to installing Firefox. so far it works great.

What add-ons do you guys recommend?
I have:

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper
Flagfox
Noscript
Skipscreen
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 am

Some of my add ons are for adding functionality to Firefox that comes standard with Opera.

Speed Dial - (Opera) home page bookmark function
Tab Mix Plus - (Opera) adds a lot of tab functionality
FireGestures - (Opera) use mouse movements and button clicks to navigate quicker

AdBlockPlus - all-around adware asskicking app (alliteration!)
CoolIris - turns Firefox into a photo browser for remote and local photo folders
Download Helper - good for pulling down streaming video
DownloadThemAll! - want to download everything on a page? This does it

Also, strangely enough, it seems that they've finally made a good Norton utility suite. It's apparently the best all-around package for malware going now. The freebies there should do the job, though...no matter what others say, I'm not buying Norton again.
SoVi3t

Re: protecting your shit from digital stds

Post by SoVi3t » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:05 am

SuperAntiSpyware. I have to use this shit at work (I work in the IT department for a southern US ISP, dealing with fucking hillbillys all day), and it does a much better job than MalwareBytes, however we generally run both at the same time.

Also RKill (for killing processes), Revo Uninstaller, Combofix, TDSS Killer, CCleaner, and there are a few others we use occasionally as well.

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:19 am

For new computers: PC Decrapifier.

And good call on Revo...that's must-have stuff, there.

As for antivirus, I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's quick, inobtrusive, and updates regularly. Install it and forget it.
Bloodrose

Post by Bloodrose » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:48 pm

check out Glary Utilities. It's a good program to clean registries and shit, kinda like CCleaner.
cYnical

Post by cYnical » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:55 am

Be careful running Ad-Aware. Apparently, it's easily hacked. I had a version that ran wild on my computer for a few weeks, before I finally figured out what the problem was.
Bloodrose

Post by Bloodrose » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:06 am

I don't have Ad Aware anymore. I have long since uninstalled that shit. It was ridiculously slow when it came to scanning, and it slowed my laptop down whenever it updated.

All I have now is just Avast, Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster, and Malwarebytes.