iPod video conversion techniques?

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
Shwiggie

iPod video conversion techniques?

Post by Shwiggie » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:03 pm

I saw where $nave said he had one, and I figure some of the rest of you here do, too.

I have a 30GB iPod with video capability. I downloaded a program called Videora to convert digitized video to run on iPod. It's free, but to run a DVD you have to rip and then encode in separate steps, which can take an assload of time. Plus, it doesn't work reliably on stuff like WMVs. I tried to use iTunes to convert a video, but it forgot to include the sound with it.

I was just wondering what those of you with the doohickey used to convert stuff with, in case there was a better and easier way.

BTW, do any of you know of a good FM transmitter? I heard bad things about the Griffin iTrip, and the Belkin FMT that works off the headphone jack I found at Wally World requires batteries. I'd hoped someone had a deal that would plug into the iPod's data port and plugged into a car charger that would simultaneously charge the iPod....
Robert Paulson

Re: iPod video conversion techniques?

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:36 am

Shwiggie wrote:I saw where $nave said he had one, and I figure some of the rest of you here do, too.

I have a 30GB iPod with video capability. I downloaded a program called Videora to convert digitized video to run on iPod. It's free, but to run a DVD you have to rip and then encode in separate steps, which can take an assload of time. Plus, it doesn't work reliably on stuff like WMVs. I tried to use iTunes to convert a video, but it forgot to include the sound with it.

I was just wondering what those of you with the doohickey used to convert stuff with, in case there was a better and easier way.

BTW, do any of you know of a good FM transmitter? I heard bad things about the Griffin iTrip, and the Belkin FMT that works off the headphone jack I found at Wally World requires batteries. I'd hoped someone had a deal that would plug into the iPod's data port and plugged into a car charger that would simultaneously charge the iPod....
go to www.ilounge.com they have some stuff about encoding videos

as for transmitters:
where is the antenna? If it is in the back FM transmitters don't work so well, if it is in the front most work well. I have an itrip and it works fine in cars that have front antennas. my friend has a monster transmitter/charger http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/r ... -wireless/

She said it works well in both front and back, but I've only actually seen it work in front. Oh Ilounge reviews can be WAY off on their scoring. I think they get kick backs, but it's a good idea of the products that are out ther.

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
Bloodrose

Post by Bloodrose » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:32 am

My friend uses 3GP Converter, Jodix.com iPod Video Converter, and DVD Decrypter. I used to go to him if I wanted to get stuff converted, but he gave me the programs, so i would be able to do it myself. So far, I figured out the basic stuff. It doesn't seem too hard, but it takes fucking forever to convert an file. And sometimes, the programs won't be able to convert a file at all, which pisses me off because I spent hours downloading a file for it not to convert.

But for the most part, these programs work fine.

btw, about the fm transmitter....I bought one of those cassette thingys that plugs into the earphone port. I think it's called iCarPlayer or something. It's like $20 and made by a company called Monster. Real cheap stuff that works excellent.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:24 am

Bloodrose wrote: btw, about the fm transmitter....I bought one of those cassette thingys that plugs into the earphone port. I think it's called iCarPlayer or something. It's like $20 and made by a company called Monster. Real cheap stuff that works excellent.
The cassette will ALWAYS sound better than the transmitter. Too bad my truck has no cassette.

I actually installed an fm modulator that plugs into the radio, $20 at fry's. It works very well.

cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:14 pm

I bought an iTrip at Office Depot yesterday, and it sucked donkey balls. I made sure to try it before I left the parking lot, so ten minutes later I got my $50 back. I don't see why anybody'd want to use one if they have a cassette adapter option, which is how I was doing it before I tried that.

I noticed there was an iPod-specific cassette adapter that let you use the controls on the face of the player to run the iPod, but I didn't know if it'd work with my particular device (said for 3rd generation iPod, and while I don't know what gen mine is it's the newest one). Plus, you have to turn a switch to let it either fast forward or skip tracks, which sort of sucked. I may yet go back and get one...for the price, I'm not out that much.

I looked at a how-to with 3GP, and it looked like too much work. The Videora apparently does everything but certain WMV and MOV files...probably some sort of DRM bullshit involved there rather than incompatibility between formats and codecs.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:37 pm

Shwiggie wrote:I bought an iTrip at Office Depot yesterday, and it sucked donkey balls. I made sure to try it before I left the parking lot, so ten minutes later I got my $50 back. I don't see why anybody'd want to use one if they have a cassette adapter option, which is how I was doing it before I tried that.
Wow $50?!? it's $31 on amazon, and I think I saw it for $35 at the apple store in the mall here. You have to turn your volume up to almost (but just below) full blast for the itrip to work, because it uses the power that your ipod puts out, and the lower the volume the less power.

I noticed there was an iPod-specific cassette adapter that let you use the controls on the face of the player to run the iPod, but I didn't know if it'd work with my particular device (said for 3rd generation iPod, and while I don't know what gen mine is it's the newest one). Plus, you have to turn a switch to let it either fast forward or skip tracks, which sort of sucked. I may yet go back and get one...for the price, I'm not out that much.
1st and 2nd generation are not dockable. 3rd generation has the dock connector on the bottom and has the wheel with the buttons above it. 4th generation has the click wheel, and ipod photo. 5th generation is the video ipod.

Most devices are switchable between 3rd and 4th (not covers). A few are switchable between 3rd 4th and 5th. The itrip isn't, but only because they changed the place of the input. But I think you'd be safe with that cassette adapter.

Bloodrose

Post by Bloodrose » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:47 pm

I downloaded Videora, and it works pretty good. I was able to convert some vids that I couldn't using the other programs I mentioned before.

However, I find that the sound is off when I convert videos. It's strange and kinda distracting, but it's nothing major.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:07 am

I got a Monster iCarPlay do-hickey at Radio Shack (while the damn Bonita store was in renovations for the 7th time this year...) that charges and transmits an FM symbol. Works pretty good in a Camry, not so well in my Camaro, so I use an old cassette adapter there.

Fun thing is that I still have a 120VAC to 12DC adapter so I can use it in the house if I ever had some ricockulous reason to do so, but anyway.
Acidevil

Post by Acidevil » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:33 am

Have you used FM transmitters with your iPod before? My rule of thumb is that they all are super sucky based upon experience and reviews. However, the only one I've ever used is a $10 Hong Kong special that I purchased off w00t! I'm wondering if they all do indeed suck or is it a case of you get what you pay for...
$nave

Post by $nave » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:31 am

I bought one of those FM transmitters/USB MP3 player from Hudson's and I can tell it sucks ass, but it's still better than what I pick up over the radio (and I did get what I paid for).
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:23 am

Acidevil wrote:Have you used FM transmitters with your iPod before? My rule of thumb is that they all are super sucky based upon experience and reviews. However, the only one I've ever used is a $10 Hong Kong special that I purchased off w00t! I'm wondering if they all do indeed suck or is it a case of you get what you pay for...
Well, let's see....
Shwiggie wrote:I got a Monster iCarPlay do-hickey at Radio Shack (while the damn Bonita store was in renovations for the 7th time this year...) that charges and transmits an FM symbol. Works pretty good in a Camry, not so well in my Camaro, so I use an old cassette adapter there.
Acidevil

Post by Acidevil » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting oneself...how cute... :roll:

You don't care to elaborate on product quality, sound quality or ease of use? Do you get a lot of static? Are you battling against other radio stations to hear your music? Does it sound like you're listening to the radio, a tape, or a CD? Is there any gain/dampening of the volume or sound quality? These are functions or features not covered in your in depth "it done work purty good" review.