Blu Ray vs HD DVD

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:49 pm

I had a lovely VHS collection (which I still mostly own), and now I have a great DVD selection. I truly understand that Blu-Ray and HD DVD are better formats, but I do NOT look forward to replacing several hundred DVD's anytime soon, especially not at the price they are charging for them.

Hell, I am still pissed at how many times I have had to replace my current DVD's with better ones (yeah, thanks for saving the special edition of King Kong for half a year after I already paid 30 bux for the previous collector's edition).

Hollywood is fucking dumb, and they're seriously going to kill themselves off in the next decade or two.

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:19 am

Usually special editions are a gip.

When LOTR's came out I bought the standard wide-screen bullshit. THEN I found out the special edition was coming out... So I sank some cash into that. I felt cheated because if I'd known the special edition was going to be out I'd have held off spending $15. But I did it anyway because I liked LOTR's and I wanted to see the 2 and 1/2 hours more that they had cut from the movie.

However when they put a 30 years of Grease dvd that shows travolta's nutsack in HD. I ain't buying. Or if the only special feature is a cast interview...blah.

The good news is that Blu-ray is already crackable, so you'll just be able to netflix your collection again.

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
MainCoon

Post by MainCoon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:08 am

Hehehe

Like I said before...I'm in it for the audio. :D

Columbia/Tri-Star, Buena Vista, and some scattered Warner Bros. and Lionsgate have uncompressed, PCM audio!!!

20th Century Fox has released everything with DTS-Master Audio (compressed from the "lossless" masters)

I'd be happy to repurchase particular movies just for the audio upgrade.

Others....not so much....[/i]

Btw...for the HD-dvd crowd...the Matrix trilogy was announced for a May 25th (iirc) release. All Hd and with Dolby True HD "lossless" sound. Contains all the supplements from the old dvds, "special editions" and such. Plus, supposedly more content than that. We shall see...

Post by MainCoon » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:49 am

Wooooooooooot! Uber woot!

I went to Best Buy last night and was taking a peek at some of the Blu-ray/HD-DVD players. Just checking out what they had and the prices. My store is pretty bad at keeping stock of them...

Took a quick look at some "open box" Blu's/HD's and they were: $250 for the Sony S300 ($500 player) and about the same for Toshiba's HDXA2 (a $700-$800 player. Toshiba's top-of-the-line player). I was like, wow...this is a great price. I should pick up a Blu-ray player. Then this girl looks at me taking interest in them and mentions that the store manager wants to clear them out so it was 50-75% off! Woah! So I picked up not one, not two, not three but four hd players! :o One HD deck for me and one for my dad and then one Blu ray and one for my dad. Ahahahah! We got over $2000 worth of players for under $600. No shit! Great deal. We've had a Toshiba A2 (lowest end 1080i only model) for a little over a month now and its in the kitchen now. Roflz! 8) Now I never have to worry about picking movies up in HD. I have both formats now. Woot!

Post by Robert Paulson » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:07 am

I'm seeing the same $250 "open box" deal on the Sony Blu-ray here. I'm considering picking it up, but I need an actual manager around, the loser guy that was "helping" me was more interested in the ugly/puddgy girl who was shopping for a power strip. I think I'm going to go back first thing in the morning when someone who has less acne, and whose voice doesn't crack can help. I'll see if I can talk them down any more.

cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:55 am

I <3 my new BluRay player.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:12 am

looks like HDDVD might be dead. Only one major player still left with them. Everyone else has gone blu-ray. Hopefully once the format war is over prices will drop quickly.

MainCoon

Post by MainCoon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:48 pm

Well, two actually. Paramount and Universal. Dunno how long that will last...its just a matter of time now.

I love this video

The Downfall of HD-DVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friS4OOcdgQ

"BLADES OF GLORY?!?! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!!"

"Cancel our CES press conference...."

Post by cYnical » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:13 am

Robert Paulson wrote:looks like HDDVD might be dead. Only one major player still left with them. Everyone else has gone blu-ray. Hopefully once the format war is over prices will drop quickly.
It's funny. You'd think that the war would make prices lower.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:02 am

Walmart has a 1080i HDDVD player for $149. Kind of the final counter-assault before surrender, wouldn't you say?
MainCoon

Post by MainCoon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Actually, they were selling that player for $100 around Thanksgiving. Its a shame that the movies are so expensive. I can usually save a few if I buy them on Amazon or what for a BOGO sale. Eh, Ive got about 30-40 movies between the two formats now. These studios need release more of and better movies. :P

Post by Robert Paulson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:47 pm

RobotJerk wrote:Walmart has a 1080i HDDVD player for $149. Kind of the final counter-assault before surrender, wouldn't you say?
looks like a clearance sale

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/technol ... 2008021511

Walmart is now going to only stock Blu-ray

zer0-degrees

Post by zer0-degrees » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:34 am

well that was fun...

:?
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 am

Robert Paulson wrote:
RobotJerk wrote:Walmart has a 1080i HDDVD player for $149. Kind of the final counter-assault before surrender, wouldn't you say?
looks like a clearance sale

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/technol ... 2008021511

Walmart is now going to only stock Blu-ray
Well, they need to get on that. Every time I go there they've got like 10 movies.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:38 am

I'm sure they have elf, and the guardian....what more could you want?