anyone have a list of the cd's that install sony's program?

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
Robert Paulson

anyone have a list of the cd's that install sony's program?

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:12 am

anyone have a list of the sony cd's that install the backdoor program onto your computer? And do you know if copied cd's still install the program?

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:15 am

I've seen such lists on several sites today...I'm thinking Anandtech had a link to one such site. From what I understand, just trying to run the discs with it will install the rootkit on your system, and a copy will preserve this function unless it's been cleaned up with a program like AnyDVD or something.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:49 am

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html

this is the list, nothing that any of us probably own.

cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
die

Post by die » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:48 pm

Texas Sues Sony Under Anti-Spyware Law

AUSTIN, Texas - The state sued Sony BMG Music Entertainment on Monday under its new anti-spyware law, saying anti-piracy technology the company slipped into music CDs leaves huge security holes on consumers' computers. The lawsuit is over the so-called XCP technology that Sony had added to more than 50 CDs to restrict to three the number of times a single disc could be copied. After a storm of criticism, Sony recalled the discs last week.
There is another Skywalker....
$nave

Post by $nave » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:15 pm

Good. Maybe people will actually look into what they are using to protect their copyrighted material.

But if you did buy Celine Dion's new CD you deserve to get AIDS along with the rootkit.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:52 am

look at those titles, they had to know if they put it on a britney album someone was going to notice and raise all hell that sony hax0red their pc. I mean is there really a trade for chris botti albums?

"dudz I just sc0r3d teh n3w Botti album 4 FreeZ! w00t!"

this was a test to see what they could get away with.