TV I just bought.

ouch my meaghurtz had beens stoled !
Sparkstalker

Post by Sparkstalker » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:51 am

OK, I'm late to the party...just like normal.

ANyways...most projection TVs shouldn't suffer burn-in...they can, but the real risk for that is plasma. I've got a buddy on Live that now has a permanent ROBOTRON screen on his brand new $3K set...

And RJ, I know exatly what you're talking about. My cousin did the same thing...he's got a 56" DLP, and has the HD cable box...but it's hooked up through composites. Since that won't support widescreen, well, he then has it set to zoom, so the picture's chopped. And looks like shit. :lol:
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:06 am

What's worse is when you try to tell them what's wrong they won't listen.
$nave

Post by $nave » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:12 am

Technology + family who don't understand what they buy = You starring as tech support

As soon as you fix something, you're the man now, dogg when it comes to everything. My family though I was a genius when I "fixed" the VCR by putting it on channel 3 instead of 4 when I was 5 years old. I hope there is a special place in hell for those who write spyware that makes relatives call me to fix their shit.
TheWholeFNShow

Post by TheWholeFNShow » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:14 pm

^ You testify.

I think there are three given things that happen every month at my parents household.

- One of them PMS'ing
- The dog pisses on the floor at least twelve times
- I get a call at college hearing that the computer is pretty much in shambels and I pretty much get to sacrifice a Saturday that I return in fixing their computer because dad will do anything any advertisement tells him to, and my mother has the entire Yahoo games library downloaded. Oh yeah, and my father likes BonziBuddy/Weatherbug. And of course with all of mother's games comes WildTangent.
Sparkstalker

Post by Sparkstalker » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Heh...yeah...that's been my own personal hell for twenty years. Not only is it my family, but my wife's family, family friends, co-workers...it's fucking insane. And it never stops. The worst part is that most of the time, I don't even get paid for it. Like this weekend. One of my wife's friends (who got fired a month or so back)...well, her laptop died. Not just any laptop mind you, a Gateway 2000 Solo 2300. Yes, Gateway 2000. It's old. Like 1997 old. It's so old, the hard drive broke. Not failed, broke...as in the head literally snapped off and were shaking around inside the drive.

So I get to front the cash for buying a new drive, repairing this piece of shit, and rebuilding it from scratch. As a favor. Do you know how long it takes to install Office 2000 on a Pentium 233?

Damn, some days I wish I was as stupid as everyone else...
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:02 am

I know next to dick about computers (I know what all the shit that hasn't changed in 20 years is, and can find my way around a Windows control panel, but not much else), but my in-laws and co-workers think I'm Bill Gates. Sorry, but knowing how to attach a file to an email or how to install software from a CD makes you only slightly more knowledgable than a trained monkey.
TheWholeFNShow

Post by TheWholeFNShow » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:09 pm

^ That's my point.

My parents are so oblivious that simple shit like that makes you instantly a brain surgeon. It's elementary shit that if they took an hour-two hours out of one of their free days, they could themselves and not let this problem keep coming about. Knowing that pretty much any advertisement offering free coupons/ipods/chance to win money/whatever else is bad, (especially anything that pops up and people want you to download) scanning their computer before it gets out of hand and uninstalling software after you're doing using it are all simple things that would make me work on that piece of shit once a year instead of pretty much once a month. I'm not all knowing, I had to learn all this stuff. Why that instantly makes me technical support (sans the fact I speak fluent english) is beyond me.
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:33 pm

^

A-fucking MEN!

nuff said
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:24 pm

I remember when I introduced the people at work to Google. I was suddenly given the job of teaching this new gospel to whosoever thirsteth for INTERNET.
Sparkstalker

Post by Sparkstalker » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:06 pm

TheWholeFNShow wrote: I'm not all knowing, I had to learn all this stuff. Why that instantly makes me technical support (sans the fact I speak fluent english) is beyond me.
I've never gotten that either. You never see that shit happen with other professions...hell, I can't imagine these people, upon being introduced to a doctor, start asking him about a funny rash they have. But it's the same fucking thing...but people have no respect for the fact that technology is my fucking job, not my life.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:42 am

I can't imagine these people, upon being introduced to a doctor, start asking him about a funny rash they have.
Oh, I'm sure that happens, though. A therapist I used to know told me about how she always had guys dumping their problems on her when she dated them.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:48 am

...hell, I can't imagine these people, upon being introduced to a doctor, start asking him about a funny rash they have.
happens to me all the time.

"what do you do?"
"I'm an archaeologist."
"can you identify every artifact I've looted off important archaeological sites for the past 30 years, AND tell me how much they are worth and where to sell them?"

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
die

Post by die » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:41 pm

Here's what trips me out.....

My co-workers have tons of shit in their offices & their offices basically look like shitty packrat shit-nests. They keep tons of outdated books from the 70's and big ass dictionaries and old shit they photocopied, etc. They are completely confused as to how I can get all that same info + newer better info off of the internet and have a nice neat office that's not a complete clusterfuck.

I taught them how to "copy & paste" and now I'm PC Jesus.
There is another Skywalker....
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:09 pm

"I'm PC Jesus" needs to be be someone's custom title.

I became my department's unofficial tech guy now because I know how to ATTACH DOCUMENTS TO AN E-MAIL AND SAVE STUFF TO DIFFERENT FOLDERS.
die

Post by die » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:09 pm

Now, if we could just figure out how to use that knowledge to get a raise. :atch:
There is another Skywalker....