Gamestop buying and selling retro games

Get some skillz and kill some peepz.
die

Gamestop buying and selling retro games

Post by die » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:17 pm

https://games.yahoo.com/news/gamestop-s ... 00411.html
Not long after opening up trades for the PlayStation 2, retailer GameStop is moving forward with its previously announced plan to buy and sell even more retro gaming consoles and games. The company is planning to launch a new pilot program for classic consoles, games, and accessories starting April 25.

The two test markets are New York City and Birmingham, Alabama, which together total around 250 stores. A spokesperson for GameStop told IGN that it could expand the program nationwide "later this year" if there is enough interest in the pilot markets.

GameStop shoppers in the test regions can trade in and buy consoles dating all the way back to 1985's Nintendo Entertainment System. Customers can also trade in the Super NES, SEGA Genesis, original PlayStation, Nintendo 64, and SEGA Dreamcast.

All legacy consoles and games traded in to GameStop will be sent to the retailer's Refurbishment Operations Center, known as The ROC, in Texas. There, like newer systems and games, they will be inspected and tested, and repaired if necessary.

Though GameStop will begin accepting retro consoles, games, and accessories for trade on April 25, the company says it will take about two months before inventory starts showing up in stores. You won't need to travel to NYC or Alabama to buy the legacy platforms, however, as they will also be sold through GameStop's online store.

There is no word yet on what GameStop will pay for retro consoles and games, or how much they will cost when they're made available later this year for purchase. However, IGN reports that these aged consoles will also come with the standard GameStop warranty.

Head to IGN for the full story.

Who else bets they will buy them for like $8 a system and sell them for $99-$149?
There is another Skywalker....
Shwiggie

Re: Gamestop buying and selling retro games

Post by Shwiggie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:59 pm

So basically they're going to be an online GameXchange. Why when there's eBay?
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:26 pm

lol oh yeah haev a colecovision.....perfect condition, still in the box, all the manuals are here too....Nice!

We'll give you 35 cents for it.

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
die

Post by die » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:50 pm

SoVi3t wrote:lol oh yeah haev a colecovision.....perfect condition, still in the box, all the manuals are here too....Nice!

We'll give you 35 cents for it.
It's actually even worse than that.

They will give you nothing for it.

The article says they only go back as far as NES.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 am

I'll just stick to the emulators. It's a hoot playing SNES games on my Atari-styled HTPC.
die

Post by die » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Well, this is a letdown...

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/gamestop-c ... tro-games/

I was really hoping to see Gamestop shelves full of SNES. That might make the place worth walking into.
die

Post by die » Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 pm

ok, so I have some news to report. This retro deal is actually more widespread than initially reported. Both Gamestops in my area are taking retro trade ins. The great thing about it is that all they have to do is power-up...as long as the red light comes on, they take it. Also, they take controllers, light guns, NES Power Pad, etc. This is really great because people know I love retro games, so I get given tons of stuff from people and a lot of it doesn't even work.

Over the weekend, I took some of my defective systems and duplicates in and pulled down about $500.

The bad news is there's a lot of stuff they don't even take, like there's a list of games for each system that they will accept so a lot of games aren't even tradable there. The surprise is, a lot of games go for big bucks (I got $30 for Mario Party 3 on N64, go figure)

Also bad news, they do not accept Gamecube or Playstation 2.

I saw 11 Atari game on the list and it was ET... which they will give you 2 cents for. :lmao:

Also, they will buy BROKEN systems. I sold a broken DS for $14 and a broken PS3 for $35, they have a set price for broken systems as well... I had almost thrown both out years ago but kept them because I figured one day it'd be fun to open them up and fix them.

So yeah, there you have it... A LEGIT GAMESTOP DEAL. Fucking wowzers.

I still have tons of systems to spare after the trade-in, plus like Shwiggie, I have a set-up to emulate all the games through my tv with a ps3 controller.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Mon May 04, 2015 4:06 pm

fuck i have a few busted xboxs lying around.......

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home