2013 Gaming Systems

Get some skillz and kill some peepz.
die

2013 Gaming Systems

Post by die » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:45 pm

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in ... 14825.html

New systems seek to unseat Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo in 2013

The console war is about to get a lot more crowded.

While announcements of next-generation devices from Microsoft and Sony are bound to grab headlines this year, a wave of new machines from various corners of the games industry is threatening to shake up the traditional three-company battle over your living room.

Kickstarter sensations Ouya and the Oculus Rift are expected to roll out before the end of 2013. The indie-game focused GameStick is preparing its debut. Hardware maker Razer is launching the curious Edge gaming tablet, while nVidia, best known for their graphics cards, is rolling out a mobile system called the Shield later this year.

2013 is shaping up deliver an embarrassment of riches for gamers. But with so many devices on the way, there's bound to be some confusion as well. And there are bound to be some casualties.

Analysts say there's little -- heck, virtually no -- chance that systems from Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony will be dramatically affected by the glut of new hardware coming this year. Each of those companies has tremendous market awareness and fan bases, and, at the end of the day, that's a high hurdle to overcome, even for systems that have some buzz behind them now.

"I can't imagine all of these devices will ever come to market," says Eric Handler of MKM Partners. "I think it will be very tough. I don't know if the video game market can support all of those devices. Look at the [Playstation] Vita. It's a very cool device, but you can't find anyone who has one."

It’s a fair point. Sony’s handheld system, released last February, has failed to catch on in North America and trails Nintendo’s 3DS handheld by a significant margin.

That doesn't mean they're all destined to fail, of course. The Ouya, an Android-based system that enjoyed the best first day in the history of crowd-funding site Kickstarter, continues to intrigue industry observers since it could offer a different enough experience to hook enough users. With an expected retail price of under $100, it also boasts a value proposition that some other systems (like Razer's Edge, which starts at $1,000) can't boast. And it has a lot of gamer bigwigs backing it.

"It's been a long time since a new console was introduced, and it is likely that pricing for consoles will go up," said Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter when the Ouya was unveiled. "By coming in at a lower price point and challenging the existing pricing model for TV-based games, Ouya could hit a sweet spot with gamers."

Handler agrees.

"I think it could be that Indie device of choice for games that don't cost $60," he says. "It depends on how well it can be marketed. … The question is: How can you make the casual stuff compelling by adding a joystick to it?"

Another potential disruptor is the so-called Steambox. Essentially a piece of hardware designed to run Valve's vaunted Steam service in the living room, it’s long been a dream of PC gamers itching to move to the couch. The hardware itself is seemingly going to be pricey, but with its firmly established software base (and legions of users), it could overcome that obstacle.

"It's already a platform," says Inside Network analyst Billy Pidgeon.

One of the biggest difficulties facing all of these system manufacturers could be the lack of retail support. Generally speaking, console hardware itself isn't a big money maker. Like publishers, retailers make more on software sales. With most of the new systems eschewing brick and mortar game sales for their games -- instead relying on the cloud, free-to-play or their own digital distribution network -- there’s an awareness issue.

Plus, there aren't a lot of mass-market customers looking for a $1,000 dedicated portable gaming device or gaming PC hardware. As a result, says Pidgeon, major console manufacturers don't have to worry too much.

"All these other systems coming out create a lot of noise and confusion, but I don't think it impacts things much," says Pidgeon. "High end hardware? To me, that not going to have a disruptive effect."

That said, Pidgeon adds, it's hardly the glory days for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. The Wii U hasn't sold to Nintendo's expectations, putting the company in a tricky spot as it tries to lift sales without dropping prices. The next Xbox and PlayStation, both expected to be formally unveiled aound the E3 conference in June, may not see the same sort of reception they saw at the start of this generation, either.

"There's going to be impact on those consoles anyway, because expectations for penetration and sales velocity are going to be overly high," he says. "They're not going to sell like they have in the past. … People are buying fewer packaged goods and you're dealing with smaller user bases today."

For game news, free codes and more, Like us on Facebook and follow @yahoogames on Twitter

Anybody interested in these?
There is another Skywalker....
Robert Paulson

Re: 2013 Gaming Systems

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Without games it doesn't matter. Wii U will not get sales as long as there are no games for it, and the games they do have seem like a downgrade (*cough cough* hey nintendo, showing off your new system with a super mario side scroller seems like a downgrade)

I'm interested to see what Steam comes up with considering they do have the games, but it'll still be hard to put an RTS on a joystick. Who knows, maybe WOW people will be able to move from their desk to a couch. I'll probably buy a next gen xbox or playstation, whichever is cheaper considering exclusives making buying a console worth it are almost a thing of the past. Halo, Gears of War and Fable would not be enough to sell my on Xbox if the next gen was $150 more than the Playstation, the same with God of War and Little Big Planet (Halo doesn't even have the power to sell me a $19 game). And if the price point of games goes up expect a decline in inital sales.

and the words "console" and "android" together has zero appeal. If I want to play angry birds I can use my phone

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
die

Post by die » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:

and the words "console" and "android" together has zero appeal. If I want to play angry birds I can use my phone
or Playstation3...or X-box360...or DS...or...3DS...or Roku box...or on a board game :lol:

ANGRY BIRD OVERKILL!!!!111!

Agreed on the games issue as well as the comments on wiiU. If either of those 3 new systems can deliver a solid online game that's a killer app, I'll pay attention. If they bust out some shovelware or some re-release of an old game (I'm looking at you, WiiU Arkham City Armored Edition) then they can fuck right off.

ZombiU is about the only game that has even remotely sparked my interest in WiiU. I haven't even had any time to look into it and see how it actually is though. I'm just not ready to commit to buying any new system right now.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 pm

The Ouya:
http://youtu.be/r7uWLTJ7ebc

Oculus Rift:
http://youtu.be/KBylGcvRuek

The Ouya looks like everything I expected it to be, a piece of shit. The oculus rift looks like an amazing concept. And I have a feeling Shield will get adpoted by xbox as a solution to compete with whatever portable playstation is coming up with, with the idea that there is zero gap between portable gaming and console gaming.

The graphics I've seen from WiiU look good (of course they are all from SD graphic sources trying to show HD graphics), I still believe nintendo made a mistake with Wii of not upping the graphics to the same level as the 360. Now everyone wants to see what they look like before throwing down any money. Also the games I'd want to see, which should have been done when the WiiU was put out were Metroid or Zelda and a 3D Mario game (Mario Kart would have been acceptable).

I'm sure everything on WiiU has some fucking gimmick that makes you look at the pad. And the first shovelware I predict is "cherry buster U" you're a 13 year old girl and ride a horse for hours and have to keep checking the pad to see if you've broken your hymen yet.

BTW a real gold mine would be just releasing old ported nintendo games for a small fucking price. $5 is too much for a 20 or more year old game.

cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:58 am

I'm not buying any next-gen console until they have a few years worth of games behind them.

Even then I may not take the dive as I just don't have time. I don't play enough to get good enough to play anyone online (even if my 1Mbps connection made it viable) without being totally destroyed. I learn the controls and plays in games like NCAA '12, quit playing for a few months, and have to relearn everything, and when I do, NCAA '13 is already out. There's no way I can spend weeks grinding through the dungeons of some RPG.

I find that most of my gaming these days occurs either on my Galaxy S3, Nexus 7, or the HTPC via emulation of old Atari and Nintendo consoles. And I'm increasingly fine with that.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 am

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in ... 41980.html

Well this article makes it look like they won't be boosting graphics as much as making it facebook compatible. Which is all everyone needs is to be MORE fucking connected. How about fully replacing our Roku, or HTPC instead.

Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:11 pm

From what I've read, that's exactly what the new Xbox is supposed to do. It's basically a 10 foot HTPC that specializes in games but has crazy video playback and DVR capabilities.
die

Post by die » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Shwiggie wrote:From what I've read, that's exactly what the new Xbox is supposed to do. It's basically a 10 foot HTPC that specializes in games but has crazy video playback and DVR capabilities.
Now, this sounds relevant to my interests.

fuck a Facebook or Twitter.

Craziest things this past gen for me is that all of my friends have 360's that got red ringed yet mine is still working fine.

BUT...

my PS3's disc reader quit like a bitch rendering it a faggot so I had to buy a new system (the damn blu ray drives cost over $100 online)

fml.
$nave

Post by $nave » Sun May 12, 2013 5:17 pm

you might be the only guy not to have a red ring of death on the xbox 360. Lucky for me, it happened while under warranty
die

Post by die » Tue May 14, 2013 8:48 pm

I know man, it's crazy cause when mine goes, it's just gone. To hell with buying another one this late in the game. I'll be having a rummage sale on 360 games unless I can find another system for hella cheap.

So, I just noticed that the Nvidia Shield launches in June for $350. :shock:
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 am

die wrote:So, I just noticed that the Nvidia Shield launches in June for $350. :shock:
You spelled "Neo Geo 2013" wrong

Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 pm

ExBocksOne!

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/hub/reveal

Holy fuck it's big.

Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 am

Still not as big as the Atari 5200. So it still holds that dubious title, as well as shittiest controllers in recorded history.

From what I can parse out, it's an HTPC with a customized AMD-based chipset and embedded Radeon graphics running a custom Windows interface. In essense, just like the PS4 and the inevitable Steam box.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 am

XBone it's already being called, because of what a boneheaded move MS made

Used games require a fee equal to the game's launch price in order to play. This also means if your friend comes over and wants to play Madden, and you don't own it, you have to pay a fee to use his game.

Always online DRM for every game. OR FOR CONSOLE FEATURES.

Forced HDD installs for every game, on their proprietary hard drives. $150 for a 100 gb hdd? Yeah, sounds legit.........

I'm gonna look into a PS4. As of now though, it's looking HIGHLY likely I will be going to avoid next gen, and just stick with the master race on PC.

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Wed May 22, 2013 8:20 am

SoVi3t wrote: Forced HDD installs for every game, on their proprietary hard drives. $150 for a 100 gb hdd? Yeah, sounds legit.........
Didn't they say it came with a 2tb hd. It would make no sense for this to be like the 360 and have the cheap models come with no hard drive.
SoVi3t wrote:Used games require a fee equal to the game's launch price in order to play. This also means if your friend comes over and wants to play Madden, and you don't own it, you have to pay a fee to use his game.
That's not what they said. They said there would be a fee, but they didn't mention how much. Let's say the fee is $1 if you play the game with disc in and current price for disc-less. Would that stop you from buying a used game? No, but it would stop you from passing the game around to everyone to copy onto their hard drive. The other option might be to sign into your buddies Xbox and play Madden like that. Stopping you from taking a game to your friends house would hurt their sales because that's the best advertising there is.

And also you don't think Sony will do exactly what Microsoft is doing on this? If Microsoft is pulling in one cent of extra cash from used game sales don't you think Sony would be on that scheme dick deep in their users too?

BTW how long did you think this used game thing was going to last? This is the last generation of buying the game at the store. You know why? All Microsoft or Sony has to do is throw the price down $5 online for the first week, include some stupid goody, and it'll kill in-store sales.
SoVi3t wrote:Always online DRM for every game. OR FOR CONSOLE FEATURES.
They didn't say that either. There was a press release a few weeks ago that said no always online DRM for single player. And since they didn't address it today I'm going to assume the press release is still accurate.

Steam Box might be the one to watch. I give two shits if I can use gestures to change the channel. Will it play games? Will it play the digital media I own (shit, will it allow me to convert my media to digital)? Will it allow me to run third party entertainment apps? Basically will it be an upgrade and get rid of the walk arounds people have been using for years (AKA the HTPC/Set top box)