Mississippi sucks thread

Post funny stuff plus also Sovi3t may threaten to murder you lmao
Zytorg777

Mississippi sucks thread

Post by Zytorg777 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:56 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/miss-still-spend- ... tsrc=attmp

Jeez....only in mississippi could politicians amd business folk still not figure out how to spend 872 million of katrina money....smh.
"Getting that sincere heel heat from 40 year old virgins since 2009 because of my bachelors degree with honors"
Shwiggie

Re: Mississippi sucks thread

Post by Shwiggie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm pretty sure politicians screw things up in other places, too... the Land Mass isn't the only guilty party in that by a long shot.
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:41 pm

fair enough, I can appreciate that. I guess my beef is how the MS landmass blows in relation to other land masses.

I know in Meridian they built a multi-million dollar parking garage for downtown...but downtown is full of decrepid buildings, and there is a problem filling the parking lots on the street. Meridian is now also not stating the race of criminals who commit crimes either...wtf?
"Getting that sincere heel heat from 40 year old virgins since 2009 because of my bachelors degree with honors"
die

Post by die » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:51 pm

A few things.....

Downtown is and always will be a big hole where they go and throw money in. If you want to line the interstate with closed down buildings, who's gonna take the time to stop and try downtown? Nothing will change until they realize it's a lost cause and invest money more wisely.

The thing about the police.... They aren't even allowing news outlets to report on crimes because the police are claiming that gangs are trying to gain rep by getting their activity in the news. Rapes, robberies and break ins are going unreported.

There's actually an underground source now leaking the info to the public.
There is another Skywalker....
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm a little impressed with the direction they have been taking downtown Meridian. But the issue is more that there is nothing to get you downtown.

Meridian has a really stable population and over half a million people within 65 miles. But no upswing in jobs. The top employers in the town (Hospitals) don't produce anything, so growth is super slow.

Die is correct, a dead mall and abandonded stores that line the path from the interstate to downtown are not selling points, but Meridiain isn't trying to grab people off the interstate. I've always thought that they should condem the old mall, and put in a large venue like the gulf coast coliseum. Look at what the coast is bringing in, I mean it's not the best line-up I've ever seen, but those things will bring in people and money. Whatever happened to the Jimmie Rodgers Festival? The one that used to draw big names in country music. Oh yeah, now it's 2 days with no one you've ever heard of before in one location.

And back to that point. Meridian should be getting rid of those derilect buildings and forcing reuse. As it stands now, why would a company build near downtown, they have to buy a property with a building on it, then demolish it, then build a building on it. The plan should be: you own a building in a commerical zone, and have no business running out of it? fine, after 5 years we are going to up the shit out of your taxes. After 10 the city will have the option to buy the property and sell it or develop it.

Next, you can't solve all of Meridians problems by just fixing downtown. It needs expansion of the interstate. People might want to develop up hwy 19, 493, or 39, but getting your goods to the interstate is a pain, and most of the time requires you to ship through the middle of town. In fact getting to the north part of town is a pain in the ass. They have to solve this problem to see overall expansion.

Here's I-259:

I could go on, but those things are the start.

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:27 am

Meridian has many advantages, but I can't understand why they aren't helping attract growth and development. An airport (pathetic as it is), two interstates, a major federal highway, proximity to water traffic (Tenn Tom waterway being the largest man-made waterway in the world), plentiful rail access, a community college, university branch, and 2-hour drives to three major universities; two hospitals with emergency services, level III trauma centers, and tons of local clinics...I would have thought it would have been a fairly attractive area to have some sort of industry that isn't Peavey. But it's just been going down for decades..."Queen City" is a bad joke at this point. And a lot of it seems to be mismanagement.

Instead of a bond issue for a new ninth grade building in the Meridian school system, they could have picked up the old Village Fair Mall and put almost the whole freaking school there and have ready road access and plenty of room for expansion, but they didn't. They could have put the MPD in the old Sears building on 22nd and integrated it with the Lauderdale County Sheriff's office, but they didn't. Bonita Lakes Mall is becoming a ghost town because people aren't going to come to what little is left in the Meridian retail market when Tuscaloosa and Jackson are almost equidistant and have much better selections. People are moving their offices out of downtown because of the hell that is Meridian street configuration and access and lack of parking.

That doesn't even consider the wildly increasing crime rate that's turning the place into an unreasonably dangerous place to work and live. Walmart's becoming the worst place to be next to the Redline, which is why Anderson hospital is on lockdown practically every night because of shooting "victims" (aka gangstas) being dumped out there since its nearest to the ghetto. Yet everybody's falling over themselves to put up "no guns" signs on their doors in the wake of the recently-passed-and-affirmed open carry clarification legislation (signs that I ignore by virtue of my enhanced carry permit, but anyway). And when people do come forward with information, the MPD doesn't return their calls or see them in the office...there was a story about that just last week.

Right now, any development that is going on is happening in northwest part of town, but it seems to be more retail crap. They've been needing some sort of bypass for years, 'cuz it's a bitch and a half for me to run over from 45 to 19. Getting to Collinsville from where I live should not take me nearly an hour (assuming speed limits are followed...yeah). But there's a lot of private property that's not in the city limits between here and there...but Southern Company got it done with the coal plant up the road in my home county (for better or worse...I predict the latter), so I don't know why we can't get something moving on that.
$nave

Post by $nave » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 am

Meridian is almost unrecognizable now. It does have resources, but can't get out of its own way.
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Meridian was put on academic watch today....
die

Post by die » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 pm

I was going to ask if this was true or false and then I remembered it has to be agree or disagree.
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:04 pm

agree.

my wife said the 5th graders are like the kids from the substitute. This one kid had a gatorade in her class....just drinking it. She is like "why does this kid have a gatorade in school?" so she takes it and puts in on her desk right? then the kids snaps back "Oh ima get that back"

this community is failing to raise children into intellectually valid humans.

:?
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 am

That reminds me...."[A] lawsuit claims Meridian police routinely arrest students without determining whether there is probable cause when a school wants to press charges, and the students are routinely jailed. The lawsuit says the students are sent more than 80 miles to the Rankin County youth detention center because the one in Lauderdale County closed earlier this year 'because of longstanding legal battles over the conditions of confinement.'" But they sure can talk about bond issues to fund construction of new ball fields for the State Games!

That said, Meridian's problem is not as much the school system as the home life of many of its students. The nuclear family has bombed in many communities, and what's left ain't taking up the slack. The schools can't raise children no more than the government, neighborhood, or churches can. It's a problem that is unsolvable because the people with the power to do something to help, the parents, either can't or won't, and it seems to be more generally the latter.
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Shwiggie wrote:

That said, Meridian's problem is not as much the school system as the home life of many of its students. The nuclear family has bombed in many communities, and what's left ain't taking up the slack. The schools can't raise children no more than the government, neighborhood, or churches can. It's a problem that is unsolvable because the people with the power to do something to help, the parents, either can't or won't, and it seems to be more generally the latter.
:marvin: word.
die

Post by die » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:01 am

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WNt7Xc ... ata_player

The video itself is comedy, but the viewer comments are fucking gold.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:02 am

die wrote:Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WNt7Xc ... ata_player

The video itself is comedy, but the viewer comments are fucking gold.
That kid learned a hard lesson. Don't turn your back on someone that's trying to punch you (and that goes double if they look like they know what the inside of a weight room looks like).

But man those commenters don't act as if those kids were white, and put on a straight billed baseball cap, with their matthew stafford haircut, and a 1990s button up shirt (maybe plaid) tucked in over their fat rolls into their "nice" jeans and that wouldn't fit in outside rhythm and blues on front street.

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:53 am

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20 ... -EBT-cards

THIS IS OK RIGHT!??? TAKE IT WITHOUT PAYING CUZ THEY AINT PAYING ANYWAY RIGHT!? RIOT INSTEAD OF BEING THANKFUL FOR FREE FOOD RIGHT!?