Good, you definitely should. Here, try these:

Braveheart
Blade Runner
King of Kong
Apocalypto
Robocop
Field of Dreams
Empire Strikes Back

SoVi3t wrote:lololol Die standing up for Madonna? And needs Prince to OK it?

Did I go to the wrong website? I thought this was tehstyleguide not tehfailguide

Both of those two lost any right to be considered human beings a loooooooooong time ago. Like back when Repo popped his man cherry at that trucker bar outside of Vegas.

You Canadian faggots always gotta ride for each other, don't ya? Look buddy, I'm just saying....how's a nobody gonna criticize somebody who used to be a somebody a long time ago??? Shouldn't you be required to be a somebody first in order to do so?
There is another Skywalker....
Zytorg777

Re: Carrying the Torch of Jackassdom

Post by Zytorg777 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 pm

thanks die, I will look into it.

what looks like a cool movie just fell into my lap, its called southland tales..? Whatcha think? its by the same guy who did Donnie Darko...?
"Getting that sincere heel heat from 40 year old virgins since 2009 because of my bachelors degree with honors"
die

Post by die » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:10 pm

Southland Tales eats a fistful of dicks, but Donnie Darko is a classic.

I think it's a hollywood rule that everybody is allowed at least one bad movie.
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:27 pm

except michael bay.

bah dum dum.
"Getting that sincere heel heat from 40 year old virgins since 2009 because of my bachelors degree with honors"
die

Post by die » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 pm

He's not allowed at least one?

Hell, most of his movies suck. I did like "The Island" and "I Am number Four" though.
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:12 am

he is allowed more than one! jeeez...
lionheart

Post by lionheart » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 am

Die, I'm concerned for you. You missed the high-hat in the Michael Bay reference, and tried to sneak Apocalypto in there with other good movies. Get that piece of swampy shit the fuck out of the same list as Braveheart and Empire Strikes Back.

To wit:

The Godfather (original is best, II also awesome)
The Big Lebowski
American Psycho
The Shawshank Redemption
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Herbie The Love Bug
Caddyshack
Taxi Driver

It stings the nostrils, doesn't it?
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"
die

Post by die » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:21 pm

First.....High-Hat goes "chiiiiiiiiiiiiiii". Plus, I kinda liked the first Bad Boys just a little bit. But, you gotta test the waters first before you just bust out and say shit like that.

Second....Apocalypto was the shit... how you gonna try to show me up by putting "Herbie The Love Bug" in your list?!?! gtfo! We gotta throw some campy shit in on top of classics now?

Also, I can not rank American Psycho as great for one simple reason... While I do love the character and the dark humor, the movie went to shit around the time the ATM machine said "feed me a live cat" - you gotta know it's true. so, while I love that movie, I gotta admit that's a pretty serious flaw. Book was better?

IT IS NOW TIME.....sit back relax and check out a real list!!!!

Super Troopers
Predator
First Blood
The Dark Knight
Jaws
Starship Troopers (only the 1st one, motherfucker)
Total Recall
28 Days Later
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Back to the Future
The Lost Boys (only the 1st one, motherfucker)
Cool as Ice

now, that's what's up.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

die wrote:I did like "The Island" and "I Am number Four" though.

The extended fight/chase through the high school at the end of "I Am Number Four" was tits-awesome.
lionheart

Post by lionheart » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 am

High hat is the third note in that "bah-dum-bum", correct? usually the high cymbal.

Apocalypto was OK at best, the shit it most certainly was not. Saw it, liked it, didn't love it. It is here while the shit is over there.

American Psycho's dark comedy is -everything- in that movie; it is why the movie is BETTER than BEE's self indulgent snuff book he disguised as a novel. American Psycho the book is incredibly repetitive, unbelieveably gratuitous, and tries to sting the reader with shock value content over quality. The nature of Bateman's character is not conveyed nearly as well in print as it is on the screen.

I will agree that the movie (like the book) is a complete plot abortion from shortly after Bateman slips into insanity; I'd argue that the murder of Paul Allen is the point where you can hit "stop" and call it a day.

Similarly, I think Full Metal Jacket is great despite the fact that it sucks after Gunnery Sgt Hartman gets shot by Pyle. The second half of the movie is a waste, but the first half is so strong that it makes the movie in general appointment viewing.

Your second list is very good although I skipped the obviously horrific Cool as Ice. I think I'm in the minority on Total Recall, too; thought it was really good but adding Arnold converts a movie from possibly genuinely awesome to campy awesome (with obvious exceptions like Conan and T2).
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"
die

Post by die » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:02 pm

-It's known in the biz as the rimshot, homie. "Tom Tom Kick Crash" when it goes "Bah Dum Bum Chhhh" (or ching). There was no crash symbol, therefore my response was typical sarcastic asshole Die (gotta stick with what brought me to the dance)

-Apocalypto is just a great movie. Again, it has so many of the same elements that made Braveheart great but still stands out on its own. The look of the characters both the bad guys and the good or just dynamic and memorable, the casting is just so perfect in both of those movies. Jaguar Paw was perfect as the hero and I don't even think I've seen that actor in anything else. I couldn't see any better choices for those roles.

-I was also being sarcastic with Cool as Ice for the record, it is clearly a shitstorm of bad ideas disguised as a movie- I rewatch it every so often though, it is a guilty pleasure for the facepalm worthy dialogue.

-As for American Psycho, we pretty much agree on it. My nod to the book was just a dig at hipsters. But, I know in my heart that Bale himself is what really made that movie. It has to be his best performance ever. I just hate that the trip it takes into the realms of nonsense would've maintaining some traces of the glue that had been holding the story together.

-Agreed on Total Recall as well, I put it on par with movies like Starship Troopers, Robocop and The Crow as they maintain badass status with just the right amount of camp. Other movies try it and fail but those movies do it so right, they deserve props for it. I can't even force myself into a facepalm even though if I had read some of those lines in the script, I'd probably trash it and then set the trashcan on fire as well as the building the trashcan was in.

"I feel like a little worm on a big fucking hook" -Skank
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:12 am

I can't believe nobody mentioned Roadhouse. Or does it go without saying?

Oh....COMMANDO
die

Post by die » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:44 am

Totally Road House & Commando. I think I own them in every format there is to own on movie on ever.
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:54 pm

you didnt get my joke though bro.

its cool. I dont always get yours.
die

Post by die » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 pm

I got it, I just picked up the ball and sarcasticly ran with it.