POPULAR (but I just don't get it)

THE BESTEST STUFFS OF THE EVERS!!11!
die

POPULAR (but I just don't get it)

Post by die » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Millions of people can't be wrong.....or can they?

Buffy The Vampire Slayer- Loved by millions, tons of merchandise, people own all the seasons on DVD, you say it's got lesbians too?!? Try watching it though...There's no lesbian action, it's all basically kinda hinted at and the special effects look like melted ass. I tried to watch it & it just baffles me that people could have ever looked forward to the next week's episode. I don't get it.

Smallville - I like Superman. I grew up reading Superman comics, watching Superman cartoons & movies. Now you say Superman goes to high school with Aqua Man & Lex Luthor? You say Bo Duke is his dad? You say he's basically Dawson's Creek with super powers?

24 - Tried to watch it, but I fell asleep. I see David from the Lost Boys fighting terrorists with a bulletproof vest & a cellphone. I even fall asleep during the previews for the show. Maybe it's great afterall, but I'll probably never know for sure.

Prison Break - Now, I'll admit, I've never even watched this one but when I see the previews I think it's a show about 2 homosexual cancer patients for some reason. All I can gather from the previews is that some guy recovering from chemo is sneaking into a prison to help his life partner (who is also recovering from chemo) break out of prison so that they can elope to a state that allows civil unions between 2 guys with head stubble. Maybe I'm wrong?

Aqua Teen Hunger Force - You say it's got a talking milkshake & a wad of meat as main characters?
There is another Skywalker....
SoVi3t

Re: POPULAR (but I just don't get it)

Post by SoVi3t » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:58 pm

die wrote:Millions of people can't be wrong.....or can they?

Buffy The Vampire Slayer- Loved by millions, tons of merchandise, people own all the seasons on DVD, you say it's got lesbians too?!? Try watching it though...There's no lesbian action, it's all basically kinda hinted at and the special effects look like melted ass. I tried to watch it & it just baffles me that people could have ever looked forward to the next week's episode. I don't get it.
Stupid pre-teen/teen girls will watch just about anything in it with a 'hot guy' in it. Girls don't need good special effects.
Smallville - I like Superman. I grew up reading Superman comics, watching Superman cartoons & movies. Now you say Superman goes to high school with Aqua Man & Lex Luthor? You say Bo Duke is his dad? You say he's basically Dawson's Creek with super powers?

Yeah, who cares about continuity?

24 - Tried to watch it, but I fell asleep. I see David from the Lost Boys fighting terrorists with a bulletproof vest & a cellphone. I even fall asleep during the previews for the show. Maybe it's great afterall, but I'll probably never know for sure.
Watched it once. Wasn't awful, but not all badass like I heard. I guess some people just can't afford to go to the movies, and this is their substitute.
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - You say it's got a talking milkshake & a wad of meat as main characters?
Like Robot Chicken, this show is purely aimed at stoners. It can be funny once in or twice every few episodes, but that's aboot it.

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
die

Post by die » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:14 pm

Stupid pre-teen/teen girls will watch just about anything in it with a 'hot guy' in it. Girls don't need good special effects.
Yeah, but it's mostly dudes who are crazy for the show.

Like Robot Chicken, this show is purely aimed at stoners. It can be funny once in or twice every few episodes, but that's aboot it.
Not so. I mark hard for Robot Chicken but ATHF makes no fucking sense. Robot Chicken has skits featuring toys from the 80's. The spoof of Se7en featuring the Smurfs basically broke me in half.
lionheart

Post by lionheart » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:21 pm

I like Smallville. It's simple enough, and certainly crushes continuity, but I could care less. Smoking hot chicks, good action sequences (although not every episode; there are plenty of shitty exampels), and a little fix of Mythos. Continuity here is overrated - they aren't claiming that this is -THE- Superman story, merely their version of the story.

24 is awesome, but you really have to watch all the episodes to get into it. I also think that it has fallen off significantly from season 3/4 when they hadn't killed off all the kick-ass characters (Dennis Haysbert, Carlos Bernard) and Keifer wasn't looking like the Marlboro Man's pedophile uncle.
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"
die

Post by die » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:33 pm

If nothing else, Smallville proves that it is actually possible to make Aquaman gayer. Something that we all once thought was impossible.

Isn't General Zod the librarian at the school or the groundskeeper or something?
Coke Mule

Post by Coke Mule » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:27 pm

ill agree with ya on every single one of those....except ATHF. I do not smoke weed and i still watch that show religiously.
Rick Astley's never gonna:
a. Give you up
B. Let you down
C. run around and desert you
D. make you cry
E. say goodbye
F. tell a lie and hurt you
H. all of the above.
lionheart

Post by lionheart » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:35 pm

die wrote:If nothing else, Smallville proves that it is actually possible to make Aquaman gayer. Something that we all once thought was impossible.

Isn't General Zod the librarian at the school or the groundskeeper or something?
General Zod is the exception - he's much more bad ass on Smallville than in comic form. He certainly is inconsistent, though. I'm pretty sure he's a phantom or some shit and he took over Lex and gave him superpowers for an episode.

Obviously, the show isn't for true hardcore Superman fans, because they would have a Comic Book Guy head explosion pointing out all the inconsistencies. Personally, I don't give a fuck as long as Lois is wearing tight leather, getting felt up by incredibly hot wrestling chicks, and Clark Kent is kicking the fucking shit out of bad guys (all of these things happened last night).

Plus, my memory is a well-documented abortion, so it's easy to forget about little things like details of the actual Superman story.

Now, some actual popular things that I don't get into.

Ipods - I have one, but I rarely use it. It's fun enough, light, easy to use, but I'm lazy and don't feel like programming it to play new music all the time.

PS: If you wear an Ipod at your desk at work, you are a fuckface.

Forensic - Based Shows - I just don't care. I really, really, really don't care about the clever way you trace a nosehair from a line of coke to figure out who killed Colonel Mustard.
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:39 pm

Ipods - I have one, but I rarely use it. It's fun enough, light, easy to use, but I'm lazy and don't feel like programming it to play new music all the time.

PS: If you wear an Ipod at your desk at work, you are a fuckface.
:shock: guilty
Forensic - Based Shows - I just don't care. I really, really, really don't care about the clever way you trace a nosehair from a line of coke to figure out who killed Colonel Mustard.
AMEN TO THAT
RobotJerk

Re: POPULAR (but I just don't get it)

Post by RobotJerk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:51 pm

die wrote:Millions of people can't be wrong.....or can they?

You need to get the right perspective to appreciate this show.

In 1997, there were no shows that compared to it in terms of the geek content. Star Trek has already jumped the shark, Farscape wasn't on yet, and Alias's kick-ass first season was still 4 years away (and its suck ass 3rd, 4th, and 5th seasons were even further away). The only super-hero movies getting made were Batman and Robin and some shitty TV movies. It had hot chicks/action/funny dialogue/fantasy worlds combo (except MAYBE Xena, which absolutely sucked). Buffy was really good until around the year 2000, when TV producers wised up and started putting out more shows geeks could get into.

By today's standards, the show does seem rather tame. For 1997-1999, it was the shit.
Last edited by RobotJerk on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:57 pm

DirecTV fills me with irrational fury by never having carried UPN, WB, or CW. Therefore, I couldn't tell you whether Smallville or Buffy sucked or not. While I only got into 24 with this season, I like it...put Bauer's back to the wall, and somebody's gonna die ugly. ATHF is and forever shall be shit to me.

Lost - Everybody that liked X-files seem to eat this show up. The little I saw of it showed me nothing. It seems to be losing steam, which is good to me, as I'm sick of hearing about it.
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:40 am

Freakin right on most of these.

but programing an ipod...hard? you check and uncheck the crap you want or don't want on itunes and plug it in and it's on the ipod. I usually do it about once a week. I use mine for music in my car, at the gym, and I plug it into speakers at work.

ATHF, there are a few episode that are completely crap, but if you see a funny one it's really fucking funny. The one with JiggleBilly is one of my personal favorites. The one that has Shake writing a new birthday song is pointless crap.

You want to see a show that sucks donkey balls "Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job."

I watched a prison break marathon, and Die your description is almost right. And the fact that the prison break star is as gay as john travolta it's fitting.

Those crime lab shows were great...when there was one show, but they've law and ordered it into complete crap. It's just like Disney making Peter Pan II because they can't remember how to adapt one of the other many many folktales into a decent movie. Creativity is almost dead in Hollywood, If you have a hit the trend is to play it out, until people want to vomit everytime they see one of your ads.

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:45 am

die wrote:I mark hard for Robot Chicken but ATHF makes no fucking sense. Robot Chicken has skits featuring toys from the 80's. The spoof of Se7en featuring the Smurfs basically broke me in half.
Charlie Brown vs. the Great Pumpkin was THE SHIT.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:39 am

Robert Paulson wrote:but programing an ipod...hard? you check and uncheck the crap you want or don't want on itunes and plug it in and it's on the ipod. I usually do it about once a week. I use mine for music in my car, at the gym, and I plug it into speakers at work.
The only things I use my iPod for are for car audio and video during doctor visits and assorted other boring matters. I don't like it as well as my previous audio player for the simple fact that iTunes is a pain in the neck when it comes to updating the library with ripped songs. Deleting and recompiling the library file every time is totally fucking lame. So I leave it alone for a few months before updating it, which sucks equally.

As for CN's original Adult Swim shows, the only one I think is worth a damn is Venture Brothers. Out of two seasons, I think there've only been two weak episodes, and they weren't atrocious. If you're new to that one, think Johnny Quest on crack.
Repo Man
Location: Would you eat the moon if it was made of barbecue spareribs?

Post by Repo Man » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:46 am

I watch very little TV anymore, but I am down with PRISON BREAK. The main guy (Scofield) is probably the smartest bastard on the planet.

Although I still haven't figured out why he talks with the Richard Gere whisper....
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:24 pm

I was all over Lost until I read the Steven King interview where he asked them about half the shit (the numbers, the monster, etc), and they admitted that they are winging it on most things. They just created them cuz they sounded cool. So fuck that. Plus $70 for a fucking box set each year is sorta pricey.

iPod's are cool, but still over fucking priced. Plus some of the other companies are releasing much better things.

ATHF tends to use the same thing that Family Guy is doing a little too much lately (jokes based around zero animation, and just making the viewer wait, like Stewie crying for Lois for a minute straight, or the radio DJ sketches a few weeks back).

Buffy deserves mad props for succeeding where Pee-Wee Herman failed (the movie).

Robot Chicken's 1 sided fights will always have a place in my heart.

And yeah, all the cop dramas out now piss me off. It's always dumb ass criminals. I remember one where the guy doing the killings was a fan of team, and read books on how to not get caught (thank god they make those.............), and even shaved off all his body hair, but still got fucking caught cuz he used towels from his gym to clean it up or something.

If cops actually put that much time and effort into catching ANY criminal, I would suck off cops in appreciation every fucking day of my life.

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home