"Post reply" button is broken

Got a problem? Want to suggest a new feature? Post it here. Show us on the doll where he touched you.
$nave

Post by $nave » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:28 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:
$nave wrote:
lionheart wrote:I have gotten this problem more often recently as well.

Trying to quote someone else has been an utter abortion for me.
I swear to you that I don't have these issues. I'd fix it if I saw it first hand
It no-sold me when I tried to post something funny about scat and gwen steffani and I hit the quote button. Bu then I quote this, and it's all fine....GWAH!
no fucking way!!!
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:31 am

Sounds like a convenient excuse to me...
$nave

Post by $nave » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:31 pm

it is.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:36 pm

I'm having a hard time with this again. Sometimes it works if I go and re-log n when I come back to this site, but most of the time my attempts to post a message are met with being redirected to the forum's start page.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:51 pm

Just break down and start using SMF already. I'm beginning to think it's the future of my own board.
$nave

Post by $nave » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:25 pm

H8 and I were planning to buy actual BB software before Katrina hit... :cry:
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:40 pm

I've always been a huge fan of Invision Power Board, but that was before they started charging to use their software with version 2.0. My board still uses IPB 1.3 Final.

One of my associates just restarted his board using SMF (based on the old YaBB software, except in PHP rather than PERL), and tests I've done with the software on my home computer have begun to turn me towards that for my own site. The only hang-up is that it doesn't seem easily skinnable, but since tSG has stuck with phpBB's default, it shouldn't be a hassle for you guys.
$nave

Post by $nave » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:16 pm

We would change up the color scheme, but the way our mods are we would have to patch each and every style set: and I would die.

If people are still having problems, we'll ditch phpBB and go with something better. It's just that I have never seen the problems like the ones described (so it is harder to fix), but die has.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:14 pm

Huh. I'd assumed that this was a vanilla installation of phpBB aside from the customized post tags and smilies.

In any case, SMF might be superior in terms of admining and such, whereas IPB may be a bit more intuitive on the user side. But the free version of IPB is no longer supported, so I'd personally choose SMF. SMF 11.RC2 is even easier than IPB 1.3 to install and manage, and it comes with stuff in it that rivals the commercial 2.1 version of IPB. But IPB is probably more like what everyone's used to so far as features. In the end, my experience both in using and administrating with both programs has been superior to phpBB by leaps and bounds.

If you wanted to give either or both a try, setting them up and running either of the two is easy and painless. Since I have to deal with dialup as my personal cross to bear, I downloaded a distribution program called Reactor to install Apache, PHP and mySQL on my USB drive to test the forums. IPB wouldn't work with the newest PHP, but SMF had no trouble. That might be the easiest thing to do if you're looking to give it a trial run.
$nave

Post by $nave » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:39 pm

phpBB is very stripped down... no attachments, no profile, no private messages... we added a bunch of shit that should've been installed in the first place.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:36 pm

phpBB 2.0.10, the version I've used before, actually has profiles and private messaging, but I had forgotten that there were no attachments. Oh, well...all the more reason to change platforms :)
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:35 pm

I just put up a new SMF based on my old IPB. It's all stock except for some minor theme changes and the Chat mod, which is easily installed and uninstalled in the system's package manager (sort of like RPM in Linux).

Give it a whirl, see what you think of it.
$nave

Post by $nave » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:03 am

That looks real good. I'll have to investigate it more and see if we can keep the attachments going... if so, we'll switch
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:55 pm

It lets you specify what folder takes uploads, so it should work fine for you guys and tehfileguide. It also does multiple attachments, with settings defining how many and how large each individual one can be and how much can be put up in total.

I'm still figuring out the templating/skinning system. I was able to make a version of my old board color scheme in an hour or so (it all runs off CSS...but the board has a nice preview window that lets you see changes in real-time), with more cosmetic changes being after a few hours of trial and error (since I don't know PHP well at all).