Current philosophies on music

This shit is bananas...B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
die

Current philosophies on music

Post by die » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:13 pm

TEH UNDERGROUNDS

If myspace has taught us anything, it's that people just feel the need to claim that some unheard-of band they found on a file sharing program is the best thing ever.

"Favorite Bands: Bigfoot's Dick, Buttmagic, Fagpolo, Shitwizard & Crunchaweezy."

Today's Philosophy: If it's something somebody else never heard of, then you are cool. It doesn't really matter if it's actually any good.

TEH MAINSTREAMS

Now, let's discuss some of the bands the kids are flipping out for...

My Chemical Romance - So, when I first saw these guys a few years ago they looked like your average faggy emo looking band. I really figured there was no way to fag themselves up any harder....
Goth Billy Corgan disguised as The Crow disguised as Marilyn Manson

and I was really O.K with that.

Fastforward to 2k6.....

Gay Madonna

I turn on the tv and see them performing some crazy Mr. Roboto-esque rock opera like the lead singer guy thinks he's Freddie F'n Mercury or the gay old dude from Styxx. Bleach blonde haircutted like a Madonna stuntdouble & everything wearing one of Mike Jackson's old stage jackets.

WTF.

How abouts...

AFI- I was super-confused as to whether or not the lead singer was a dude or an ugly indian princess.

Ass Fuckers Incorporated

They were swaying around on stage wearing tights and sporting fuct-up anime haircuts. The crowd was of course, just losing their damn minds for these chumps.

Today's Philosophy: If it's faggy & emo, it's got to be good.
There is another Skywalker....
Coke Mule

Post by Coke Mule » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:10 pm

classic bound
Rick Astley's never gonna:
a. Give you up
B. Let you down
C. run around and desert you
D. make you cry
E. say goodbye
F. tell a lie and hurt you
H. all of the above.
die

Post by die » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:17 pm

RAP

Remember the good old days of rap?

They'd put on a Raiders cap, t-shirt, some Dickies and a pair of Chucks or some vintage addidas.

Now, jump to 2k6............

You gotta wear 9X size clothes, wear a bunch of shiny jewelry & fill your mouth with some elaborate chromed out diamond-encrusted mouthpiece that makes you sound & look retarded in order to be a success in hip hop. You gotta have a specific slang & catchy dance to make it....you gotta rap on some female artist's album alot. You gotta dress-up & get your hair done...

2pac & Eazy E are turning over in their graves, I'M FOR REAL.

To add insult to injury, Flava Flav now makes me wish I could go back and edit him out of all Public Enemy songs.

current philosophy: If it cost alot of money, it's got to be good.

Yeah, that grill really makes you look cool.

"............................."

word.
Repo Man
Location: Would you eat the moon if it was made of barbecue spareribs?

Post by Repo Man » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:33 pm

You sound like you are angry at today's music.

I can admit I like some My Chemical Romance songs. Still not sure about the look. Those other guys I never heard of.

I can also admit that today's music sucks balls. Every rap song sounds the same. Every RnB song sounds the same. Every "punk" song sounds the same.

I suggest SIRIUS radio's Hair Nation and Backspin (old school rap) channels.
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:44 pm

die wrote:RAP

Remember the good old days of rap?

They'd put on a Raiders cap, t-shirt, some Dickies and a pair of Chucks or some vintage addidas.

Now, jump to 2k6............

You gotta wear 9X size clothes, wear a bunch of shiny jewelry & fill your mouth with some elaborate chromed out diamond-encrusted mouthpiece that makes you sound & look retarded in order to be a success in hip hop. You gotta have a specific slang & catchy dance to make it....you gotta rap on some female artist's album alot. You gotta dress-up & get your hair done...

2pac & Eazy E are turning over in their graves, I'M FOR REAL.

To add insult to injury, Flava Flav now makes me wish I could go back and edit him out of all Public Enemy songs.

current philosophy: If it cost alot of money, it's got to be good.

Yeah, that grill really makes you look cool.

"............................."

word.
i just wanna know one practical question... how do those fuckers eat with all that fucking metal in their mouths?
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:45 am

die wrote:RAP
Don't you know that grillz is gangsta.

I do find it funny that it used to be about being hard, and from the street, and now it's about looking like you were stealing paris hilton's jewelry box and didn't have any other place to put it but in your mouth.

And as far as awful pop music goes, I thought we passed over the hump when the boybands fell off the face of the earth and britney pushed out a baby..but no. that same generation of effeminized youth grew up to rebel against them by being gayer..I guess it shouldn't come as a suprise haven't at least 1 memeber of each major boyband come out of the closet? Those are the role models for our youth...yeah

I only pray that it won't be long before the young kids brought up on this crap go "fuck you posers, you're not an ugly indian princess now get the fuck out!"

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.
zer0-degrees

Post by zer0-degrees » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:33 pm

I am a ugly ugly Indian princess,but I won't playa hate.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:47 am

die wrote:Image
ORIGINAL GANGSTA! HE BITE YO ASS OFF NIGGA
TheWholeFNShow

Post by TheWholeFNShow » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:01 am

You know the whole thing that bothers me about Indie music?

It's not indie. Because you know there are millions of "individualistic" kids out there who are "totally unique and different from everyone else" that listen to the same shit, and the minute that an "indie" band hits mainstream they're viewed as sellouts and fade away into obscurity. Which leads me to the next theory that after Cobain blew his head off, he took the music industry down with him. Nothing mainstream means a hill of beans. Now I know insert some random band here in an obscure genre (Take Opeth in Progressive Metal) that few and far between notice, but there is nothing redeemable in the mainstream media. Rap went from feuds, and shooting niggas to partying and trying (not getting) to get pussy. Rock...again my argument on indie sums that one up. So guys...how about that techno?
die wrote:Ass Fuckers Incorporated
I always called them "All Faggots Inside" I like Ass Fuckers Incorporated more. I'll replace that.[/quote]
die

Post by die » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:15 pm

Which leads me to the next theory that after Cobain blew his head off, he took the music industry down with him.
That's actually a solid theory. Cobain had stated in an interview once that a good band with integrity usually only comes around once every 10 years or so...

I don't think he was thinking "Nickelback" when he said it.
die

Re: Current philosophies on music

Post by die » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:33 pm

One of the biggest philosophies to emerge in the years since this thread started has been the sense of entitlement that so many pop musicians have now.

Like Kanye West comparing himself to Elvis or the Rolling Stones..... Beiber calling himself an "artist" (Chris Brown does that shit too) and demanding respect from fans. Getting mad at the fans, mad at critics, tweeting stupid shit, etc. Everybody wants to claim they are the next Michael Jackson, Madonna or Prince without the talent or accomplishments that come with the title. It used to be that critics compared you to other people now the musicians themselves hype their own place in history.

Bad music and nonsensical lyrics/videos is a current trend. Videos are less like "movies" and most songs aren't really "soundtrack friendly". It's like music you hear in a club while you're too fucked up to notice or care. It's like abstract art without the actual art part.

It's crazy that bands like Pearl Jam and Foo fighters have transitioned into roles that seem more like Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd now. Most consider them "classic rock" and they've patterned the music accordingly (for the most part). That's kinda mind-blowing to me.

Where are the old Death Metal bands now? :shock:
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:01 pm

lest you forget the weepy english invasion of Ed Sheeran and James Morrison and the screeches of Adele..

This is why my playists on my phone consist of all of the grunge from the 90s and some Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole with the occasional mindless dance tune thrown in...

oh and from time to time i do listen to my classic hip hop/r &b playlist too
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:07 pm

what I hate is this stupid "occult-illuminati" garbage you see in almost all genres of music now.

and Kanye called himself a genius on Jimmy Kimmel.

that is akin to me calling myself a genius on a text rap battle message board 4 years ago. :lol:
"Getting that sincere heel heat from 40 year old virgins since 2009 because of my bachelors degree with honors"
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 am

die wrote:It's crazy that bands like Pearl Jam and Foo fighters have transitioned into roles that seem more like Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd now. Most consider them "classic rock" and they've patterned the music accordingly (for the most part). That's kinda mind-blowing to me.
Yeah... I now turn the station when a Foo Fighter song comes on. I'm sure the new Pearl Jam album that came out a week ago will have one "rocker" song like "The Pretender" or "Rope" that'll get some air play. And then you'll listen to the rest of the album, and ask yourself "why can't they make music like they used to anymore."
Robert Paulson

Post by Robert Paulson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:44 am

DUBSTEP

So I'm sure you've heard this shit. If not, The whole genera is based around a seemingly random repeating beat that has a start-stop "break-down" as a chorus, usually with a lot of fuzz effects and high pitched beeps. Basically the beat is the same thing you'd make if you bought a sampler the day before and fucked with it all night, and then played a show with the results. Other than people on mind-bending amounts of drugs I don't understand how people can listen to this. But all the little gay fucking hipster wanna-be kids love this shit.

However, it's the first sign of our getting older. Every generation has a thing where they go "I just don't understand kids and their music these days." And this is ours. But seriously it's shitty no-talent music. And I can't wait for the next shit style people want to claim as hip new music.

"I don't make promises, I make threats" - Some yelling black lady
cYnical wrote:The philosophical suggestion that pain don't hurt caused a paradigm shift in my life that I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from.