Rogue One: a Star Wars Story

My only wish is that TBS becomes the "Roadhouse" channel... then the circle will be complete
RobotJerk

Re: Rogue One: a Star Wars Story

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 pm

More details emerge about the reshoots.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ars-898562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:00 pm

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... fan-theory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
die

Post by die » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:35 pm

Anybody see the latest trailer?

Man, I hope this is good.
There is another Skywalker....
lionheart

Post by lionheart » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:32 am

After seeing how butchered Suicide Squad was by studio executives fucking with the director's vision for the movie, I'm leery as hell about this one. The trailer looks good, and I -want- to love the movie, but I'm very nervous.
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:52 am

There has already been some exec meddling with this movie (it was supposedly to war movie like originally). But I don't see Disney/Marvel meddling on the same terrible level of WB meddling.

die

Post by die » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:57 pm

I think I'm finally securely onboard for this one. Disney just said that no matter how good this film does, there will be no sequel.

YEAH THAT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE DISNEY

But yeah, I like the look of the characters and the new Stormtroopers. Those Shoretroopers look pretty great especially.

I just realized how close we are to this actually coming out.
lionheart

Post by lionheart » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:44 pm

die wrote:I think I'm finally securely onboard for this one. Disney just said that no matter how good this film does, there will be no sequel.

YEAH THAT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE DISNEY

But yeah, I like the look of the characters and the new Stormtroopers. Those Shoretroopers look pretty great especially.

I just realized how close we are to this actually coming out.
My kid is HUGE into Star Wars, so I've got tickets for opening weekend. I'm sure I'll like it and then spend the next week listening to people tell me it actually sucked, and that you're a fanboy if you like it, etc. etc.
die

Post by die » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:00 am

Just got back from seeing it. Overall I enjoyed it.

No spoilers...

It was weird not having an opening crawl. The CG classic characters felt weird. It felt like a videogame, like Battlefront The Movie.

I will speak more on it once others have seen it. It's definitely worth watching despite my few gripes.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:29 am

die wrote:Just got back from seeing it. Overall I enjoyed it.

No spoilers...

It was weird not having an opening crawl. The CG classic characters felt weird. It felt like a videogame, like Battlefront The Movie.

I will speak more on it once others have seen it. It's definitely worth watching despite my few gripes.
Going to see this next day I have off, I've heard great things, and the best 'spoiler' i got was "it's an amazing story set in Star Wars" and that Vader was "epic". I know how much screen time he gets so whatever, can't wait. Trying to keep this one spoiler free for once, lol.

die

Post by die » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:25 pm

Yeah, I went into this one pretty much spoiler-free myself. I mean, you know when it takes place, so you pretty much know what's going to happen. It's really just a matter of "how" it all happens.

The difference between the Disney SW and the George Lucas SW is that Disney is more "culturally friendly". A lot of comparisons with alien species and ethnic groups or stereotypes could be made with Lucas' SW. You can tell Disney is always conscious of that when it depicts its characters. The issue with this for me is that I really know nothing about the cool alien species they show in these new movies. Like, I knew that Jawas steal shit and resell it and they are like used car salesmen and that Sand People loot & fuck and kill and that those cloaked elephant trunk people snitch... I'm just saying, you knew their purpose and you knew why they made Tattooine a scary place to live.

Also, Disney has gone with female leads twice. Both times, they have picked perfectly in my mind. I do feel that Rey and Jyn (sp?) fit perfectly in the SW universe and they have that "classic look" that SW characters should have (Jyn much more so than any of the other characters in Rouge One, especially the main bad guy in this who looks like the detention teacher from The Breakfast Club or something...try unseeing that now). Another interesting thing about these 2 female leads is that they show flashbacks for both, which is something we don't see in SW films before Disney. Oh, and they both have "dolls"... guess that's a marketing reference? I mean, if your favorite SW hero plays with dolls, maybe you should too, so buy some SW action figures!!!! they come in 200 different scales now too!!!
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:03 pm

For what it's worth, I guess I'm a Browns fan. I don't really watch football or even actually understand much about it aside from the basic rules and shit. I couldn't name 3 players on any team right now, nor have any clue what their positions are or what those positions do aside from the obvious ones (QB, receiver, running back), and even then, I know what little I've seen and questioned. When the two teams line up, I have zero fucking clue what is about to happen. Blitz, throw, run, no fucking clue. Don't even know what the formations and shit are or mean. I-formation? Fan fucking tastic. But yeah I got some Browns shit and snuck into their stadium like 30 years ago to see them play.

This is still hella funny though.

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 pm

I saw it this weekend. Good, not great. I had two specific major problems with the movie.

SPOILERS AHOY PUSSIES

Darth Vader was not written into the base script, but added in the reshoot phase, right? The best villain of all time felt completely out of place, and only interacted with one character from the movie. Aside from the really cool scene he had, if he is totally vacant it doesn't change the story an iota.

They did nothing to develop side characters. There was clearly a special bond, be it brotherhood-level or romantic, between the Blind guy and the Gunman. It was deep enough that after Blindo ate it, Gunman had no reason to try to survive. WHY THE FUCK NOT!? The movie briefly mentions they fought at the temple together, but this tandem needed more. Also, Naz from "The Night of" is still "Naz from the Night Of", because he was given nothing.

Overall I enjoyed it; great performances from the Jyn/her dad / Ben Mendehlson characters. Great CGI on Moff and Leia. Beautiful scenes, entertaining action. Plot was obviously in place, but well constructed.

This movie was a pretty girl with two big hairy moles on her face.
die

Post by die » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:51 pm

I figured everybody would've seen this thing already. Back in the old days, this thread would've been up to 50 pages already.

SPOILERS AHEAD...

Darth Vader was not written into the base script, but added in the reshoot phase, right? The best villain of all time felt completely out of place, and only interacted with one character from the movie. Aside from the really cool scene he had, if he is totally vacant it doesn't change the story an iota.

This is the same weird feeling that I got from Suicide Squad and this movie. Having the "main characters" as cameos just feels weird. Since Vader wasn't CG, he could've easily been the main bad guy in the whole story. Actually, they should've had Crennic (sp?) be by Vader's side, which would've made him a more imposing baddie to boot.

At least we got to see Vader's crib and his rejuv chamber that's been hinted at for forever.
They did nothing to develop side characters. There was clearly a special bond, be it brotherhood-level or romantic, between the Blind guy and the Gunman. It was deep enough that after Blindo ate it, Gunman had no reason to try to survive. WHY THE FUCK NOT!? The movie briefly mentions they fought at the temple together, but this tandem needed more. Also, Naz from "The Night of" is still "Naz from the Night Of", because he was given nothing.
Sadly, I think this will be the trademark of Disney Star Wars. There have been comments from Abrams as well as Gareth Edwards regarding the "gay" thing. Basically, Disney will imply but not commit... like, you can't say they aren't addressing the gay issue, because they kinda sorta do. They won't commit to an interracial relationship between Rey & Finn and they won't commit to a gay relationship between Finn & Poe, they will just hint that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IN THE UNIVERSE. This way it's like they aren't offending anybody or letting anybody down. They definitely do hint at the Asian duo being more than just "comrades".

I felt like the CG characters looked good sometimes, but other times they looked like PS4 graphics. I think they got too cocky trying to do full-on long scenes with the characters. Some side views and hologram transmissions would've helped maintain the illusion. When they show close-ups of the eyes and mouth while talking, the illusion gets lost. There were times when the CG did look pretty great though, so that's the good thing.

BATTLEFRONT GRAPHICS

Did anybody else notice there was a ton of stuff from the trailers that got cut out or changed???
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:52 pm

This... is how prequels should be done.

I dont care what monkeying was done with it in the reshoots.. It did not affect the tone of the movie, And the dire-ness of the circumstances/consequences... The amount of callbacks and nuggets and easter eggs were perfect. I was kinda weirded out by CGITarkin... but he sorta grew on me... I understood he was essential to the story. I was less so by Leia, but again, she was only one scenes worth of necessary. I appreciate that all the 'heroes' were given hero deaths and that we dont have to worry about stupid sequels BECAUSE THERE ALREADY IS ONE. I give this a full 5 out of 5 stars. I think the SW universe is in perfect hands with the house of Mouse.

I genuinely like this movie..
die

Post by die » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 pm

ok, so THIS is epic: