"Star Trek" is "Returning" to "Television"

My only wish is that TBS becomes the "Roadhouse" channel... then the circle will be complete
RobotJerk

"Star Trek" is "Returning" to "Television"

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:12 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... rks-828638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alex Kurtzman is attached to the new series, which will premiere in January 2017 on CBS before new episodes debut on its digital and VOD platform.
Just in time for its 50th anniversary, Star Trek is returning to the small screen.

Prolific producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The new Star Trek has been picked up straight to series at CBS, with the premiere slated for the network in January 2017. Subsequent episodes will air on its digital and VOD platform, CBS All Access. The premiere and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the U.S. on CBS All Access, the network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service. Star Trek marks the first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access.

The new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.
The cross-platform streaming service, which hosts thousands of episodes from CBS' roster (both past and present) is available for $5.99 per month. Included in the fee is the ability to stream the local network live. All previous Star Trek series are currently available on CBS All Access. CBS Studios International will distribute the series for TV and multiple platforms around the world.

The drama is set up at CBS Television Studios and Kurtzman's Secret Hideout banner. Kurtzman and development head Heather Kadin will exec produce. A search is under way for a writer to take on the cult hit. The franchise is poised to celebrate its 50th anniversary as the original series debuted Sept. 8, 1966.

The new Star Trek TV series continues Kurtzman's relationship with the beloved franchise. He produced the Star Trek feature film series, co-writing 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness and 2009's franchise revival. The fourth in the franchise set for 2019, though Kurtzman is not attached.

CBS TV Studios distributed the original series, which was produced by Paramount Television and Desilu Productions. Created by Gene Roddenberry and starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, the series ran for three seasons and 79 episodes from 1966-67 on NBC and became a monster hit via syndication. It spawned an animated series (1973-74), a series of feature films — starting in 1979 — and four TV follow-ups including The Next Generation (1987-1994), Deep Space Nine (1993-99), Voyager (1995-2001) and Enterprise (2001-05).

News of a new Star Trek TV series comes as the franchise has been mired in rights issues between CBS and Paramount after Viacom merged with CBS in 2000. CBS Corp. absorbed Paramount for television, while Paramount Studios — the company that distributed the films — went to Viacom.

The Star Trek revival comes as reboots and follow-ups continue to be in high demand on broadcast (and cable/streaming). Kurtzman — and frequent partner Roberto Orci, who is not attached to CBSTVS' Star Trek — is behind CBS' follow-up to Bradley Cooper's Limitless and also exec produces the network's veteran Hawaii Five-0 reboot. The K/O banner currently has four shows on the air — Hawaii, Limitless and sophomore drama Scorpion as well as Fox's Sleepy Hollow. K/O is repped by CAA and Gendler Kelly.

"This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before — directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, executive vp and GM at CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”
So...apparently Paramount doesn't own the TV rights anymore, so it might not even be set in the same universe as the new movies (given how "Into Darkness" left a bad taste in people's mouths...I wouldn't complain). I wouldn't expect much continuity, regardless. No telling which characters they will even use. I'd still love to see a series based on the original pilot, "The Cage," but I am sure people have other ideas. And the thought of an entirely new timeline is both exciting and dreadful to me. It may not even be "Star Trek" as we know it, but a sci-fi space show taking place some version of Starfleet and entirely new elements.

And you can only watch it on CBS's overpriced streaming service, and not broadcast tv.

Still..."Star Trek" is "Star Trek," and it *has* to be better than "Voyager".
die

Re: "Star Trek" is "Returning" to "Television"

Post by die » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:23 pm

And you can only watch it on CBS's overpriced streaming service, and not broadcast tv.
thank Zod for XBMC.

amirite????

But yeah, I am definitely ready for a new Trek series, they've been talking about it for forever. I hope it's good and I hope people watch it. I am one of those few who was actually digging Enterprise.

I don't care if it fits in with the Trek universe or what the continuity is, I just want it to be really good and last.
There is another Skywalker....
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 pm

CBS press release says all new characters. http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A totally new Star Trek television series is coming in January 2017! The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast of the premiere episode on the CBS Television Network, and the premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.
I don't know how I feel about this.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:28 am

Fuck just show me a proper aftermath of the Dominion War. It has to be something with room for the older cast members to show up on, though.

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:28 pm

this... is some bullshit

fuck you CBS... tryin to be like the Netflix..

Fuck you in your crochety CSI BlueBlood ass...
Quadriceps

Post by Quadriceps » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Call me back when it's set in the prime universe.

JJ Trek can go eat a sack of baby dicks.
HEY YOU, PIKACHU
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:29 am

Bryan Fuller crowned showrunner of CBS’ new Star Trek series

That sound you hear is fandoms colliding, as Variety reports that Hannibal creator Bryan Fuller has just been entrusted with the sacred post of Star Trek showrunner. Fuller, who began his TV writing career on Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, humbly accepted the honor on Tuesday, describing it as “without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand new iteration of Star Trek with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no Star Trek series has gone before.” And Kurtzman described his fellow executive producer as the ideal steward for the sci-fi legacy:

“Bringing Star Trek back to television means returning it to its roots, and for years those roots flourished under Bryan’s devoted care. His encyclopedic knowledge of Trek canon is surpassed only by his love for Gene Roddenberry’s optimistic future, a vision that continues to guide us as we explore strange new worlds.”

The new, as-yet-unsubtitled Star Trek series will reportedly seek out new character lives, worlds, and civilizations, while also “exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception.” It’s expected to launch in 2017 on CBS, before being relegated to the Delta Quadrant, i.e., CBS’ SVOD service.
http://www.avclub.com/article/bryan-ful ... ek--231977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
die

Post by die » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:08 am

Please don't suck.
Quadriceps

Post by Quadriceps » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Please, no JJ Trek.
HEY YOU, PIKACHU
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:24 am

Quadriceps wrote:Please, no JJ Trek.
I'd more more worried about Rick Berman at this point in time.

RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:39 am

For the record, I really like the first Abrams "Trek" movie.
die

Post by die » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:03 am

The first Trek movie looks decent now compared to the last one.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:23 am

The last one failed because nobody knew how to shut up or keep a secret.

Oh we have Beans and Dicks Cum in Pants in the movie, but we can't tell you who it is!

Is it Khan?

Ummmm......shit, ummm......we can't tell you who it is. But they have already existed in Star Trek.

Ok, so the only other plausible options are either Harry Mudd, Trelane, or Gary Mitchell, and I doubt you have the balls to add any of them to this universe. It's gotta be Khan, then.

Ummmmm, will you be mad at us if we pretty much just copy a bunch of shit from Wrath of Khan, and then proceed to shit on your memories of that movie?

Terrible rushjob was terrible.

RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:32 am

SoVi3t wrote:Ummmmm, will you be mad at us if we pretty much just copy a bunch of shit from Wrath of Khan, and then proceed to shit on your memories of that movie?
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Thu May 19, 2016 2:31 pm

CBS wants to set the record for most uses of the word "New" in a trailer.