Disney ain't fucking around

My only wish is that TBS becomes the "Roadhouse" channel... then the circle will be complete
die

Disney ain't fucking around

Post by die » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:35 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-m ... 017-2015-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

damn son, that's a machine.
There is another Skywalker....
SoVi3t

Re: Disney ain't fucking around

Post by SoVi3t » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:48 pm

I read somewhere that a lot of other studios (mainly WB) are worried about this sorta shit, since with Star Wars and Marvel and Pixar, Disney can effectively lock up cinemas for most of the year. Already, most studios have to plan their releases around Marvel movies.

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
Zytorg777

Post by Zytorg777 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:13 pm

"Getting that sincere heel heat from 40 year old virgins since 2009 because of my bachelors degree with honors"
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Just as we bow down to our Google Overlords for all interweb related shit..

I believe we now must bow to our rodent overlord for all movie related shit...

Thoughts?
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:36 pm

It'd be one thing if it was just a slew of crap being foisted off on the public, but these are mostly known quantities and franchises with a fairly high standard across the board. If the Star Wars movies click, the juggernaut is complete.

The bar has been raised. The other studios have to get their shit together and figure out if they're going to stay the same and die or change and survive.
die

Post by die » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Yeah, you guys pretty much nailed it. There are monopolies and then there is what ever the fuck Disney is doing. I mean, they have quality, quantity plus they always throw in some new thing that will make billions (ala Frozen). Not to even mention that their release schedule for within a year hammerfucks all other studios 5-10 year plans.

I haven't even heard anything about that Moana movie at all and who knows, it could be another Toy Story or Frozen type of hit. Now throw that shit in on top of Captain America and fucking Star Wars.
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:23 pm

We're in the wrong business... least I am...
die

Post by die » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:27 pm

You ain't lying. I should apply for a job sweeping up those paper rings that go around large stacks of bills for them.

They have Disneyland, Disney World.... watch these mofos make an even bigger set-up and call it DISNEY UNIVERSE.

We should've just sold them a state already and fixed the deficit.
PhreakyMex

Post by PhreakyMex » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:13 pm

i'm sure that the govt would let them just have Florida..

they can use all the blue hairs for labor and throw all the meth heads and cubans back in the water...
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Disney: We Own Your Childhood.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:34 am

Disney has like every mother fucking demographic on lockdown. Young kids? Yup we got cartoons for boys and girls and BOTH. What you want, CGI or hand drawn? Young teens? Fuck yeah we can just toss Marvel and Star Wars at them, especially once we get the girls in Marvel going and we get a good solid amount of Star Wars side stories going (Boba Fett, Rebel One, the inevitable The Hutts Soprano's style HBO show). Oh our classics? Yeah they're in a fucking vault and only come out sporadically. Buy em while you can. Our current movies? Yeah, how do 10+ year story arcs work for ya? Do you mind if some of those individual movies make a billion dollars each?

A lot of studio's are seriously failing miserably. Looking at the horseshit Fox has done over the years, and reading about all the Sony hacks and how inept the exec's were, watching WB try to mimic with a rushed Justice Leageu, and hearing about how some of the other studio's are close to bankruptcy, things look grim. Some of these companies have been operating like it's the 1920's for almost a century now. Look at infamous "Hollywood Accounting"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hollywood accounting (also known as Hollywood bookkeeping) refers to the opaque or creative accounting methods used by the film, video and television industry to budget and record profits for film projects. Expenditures can be inflated to reduce or eliminate the reported profit of the project, thereby reducing the amount which the corporation must pay in royalties or other profit-sharing agreements, as these are based on the net profit.
It was bound to happen that somebody would get smart and just dominate. I smelled success back when Disney originally bought Marvel several years ago. When they bought Lucasarts, I legit thought that the FCC or whoever would come down on them for becoming to monopolistic (like that Time Warner - Comcast merger, ironically). But instead, they're now a cinematic juggernaut, and soon they'll only get stronger, as Fox and other companies relinquish their rights more and more.

RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:07 am

The Comcast/Time-Warner merger was a completely different animal...cable companies basically already are monopolies at the municipal level and can't occupy the same service area. The merger was dropped because they didn't anticipate the level of public opposition to two shitty companies controlling that high a percentage of legaly enforced service areas. By contrast, there are really no limitations placed on movie distribution since the old studio system collapsed, and they are now dependent on separately owned theater chains to reach their audience instead of owning their own theaters.

While I have no idea how the ABC network does in the broadcast ratings, I am sure they pretty much got cable TV on lockdown...the Disney Channel continues pumping out popular, low budget garbage TV movies and programs with tie-in merchandise aimed at kids for maximum profit.

In fairness, though, they also recently made two of the biggest bombs in Hollywood history: "John Carter" and that "The Lone Ranger" remake.
Shwiggie

Post by Shwiggie » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:58 pm

RobotJerk wrote:Disney: We Own Your Childhood.
...and everything else, eventually. Resistance is futile.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:15 pm

RobotJerk wrote:In fairness, though, they also recently made two of the biggest bombs in Hollywood history: "John Carter" and that "The Lone Ranger" remake.
Lone Ranger, I don't think anybody expected that to do good. If Johnny Depp hadn't have been attached, nobody would have cared.

John Carter was quite good, and has a good following, but the marketing department dropped the ball on that one. I've seen some incredibly well done fan trailers that definitely make that movie look like a must see event.

die

Post by die » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:21 pm

I don't think Lone Ranger or John Carter were bad movies but they were clearly box office flops and they sunk a ton in advertising and merch on both. But, with it being Disney, you know that they will make their money back on both over time. Especially with John Carter, which has picked up a cult following over the years. Both of those movies are very old and dated franchises too, that was a big part of the problem with the box office. Grandpa don't usually rush to the theater to see ANY movie.

Plus, as I said they were not bad movies but let's face it, neither of those movies were great either.