STAR WARS EPISODE VII: GRANDPA'S BOY

My only wish is that TBS becomes the "Roadhouse" channel... then the circle will be complete
RobotJerk

STAR WARS EPISODE VII: GRANDPA'S BOY

Post by RobotJerk » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:04 am

(We needed a separate thread for news about the new movie, beyond the Disney purchase/relaunch.)

This is promising...
Lucasfilm Confirms Michael Arndt to Write 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

A day after THR reported that Michael Arndt has been working with Lucasfilm for several months on a treatment for the new Star Wars movie, Lucasfilm has confirmed that the Toy Story 3 scribe will write the screenplay for Episode VII.

Arndt had written a 40- to 50-page treatment that will bring the saga of the Skywalkers, the Force-imbued family comprising Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader and twins Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia Organa, to a close in a new trilogy. The story is said to focus on a new generation of heroes and would feature appearances by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in older incarnations of their beloved characters from the original Star Wars trilogy.

Sources have said not to discount the possibility that a number of characters from previous Star Wars films could reappear — even the dead Jedis, who have a habit of showing up in spirit form.

The next step for Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy, who is overseeing the production of the new movies for Disney, is to hire a director. One name popping up consistently amongst insiders is Brad Bird, though insiders say no choice has been made and Bird already is working on another top-secret sci-fi project for the studio.

Arndt, repped by Verve, is described as a huge Star Wars fan and well-versed in the lore of the mythology. He won an Oscar for his script for Little Miss Sunshine and was nominated for his work on Toy Story 3, helping make the Pixar movie the most emotional of the three. He also co-wrote the screenplay for the upcoming Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ael-388424
SoVi3t

Re: EPISODE VII news

Post by SoVi3t » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:09 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59560

Spielberg said hell no, Tarantino said hell no (thank God), Zach Snyder said hell no. They won't be touching this movie.

Only 3 directors were shown the actual script so far: Spielberg, JJ Abrams, and Brad Bird. I wouldn't mind seeing Abrams take on it.

At least the guy who wrote Toy Story III will be writing the Star Wars VII screenplay. And it sounds like Luke and Leia will be in it, using Mark and Carrie. No word on other, previous actors. But they stated they want them to show up (and they'll quite likely have Yoda, Qui Gon, Obi Wan, etc as force ghosts). Force Ghost Harrison Ford ftw

Zytorg's mother sucks my dick for bus fare then walks home
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:53 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... ertainment

Harrison Ford says he'd be down for it.

cYnical

Post by cYnical » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:40 am

J.J. Abrams also said hell no.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:46 am

Speilberg was supposed to direct "Return of the Jedi" until Lucas had his feud with the Director's Guild.

My top three other picks are Brad Bird, Joss Whedon...and Christopher Nolan (braces for outslaught of "Dark Knight Rises" hate).
cYnical

Post by cYnical » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 am

I loved Rises, and even I think Nolan would be a terrible choice. He needs to make Bond movies, not Star Wars.

Brad Bird is my pick, but only because Abrams is tied up with Star Trek. A lot of people I know are hoping for Peter Jackson, but fuck him and his boring movies.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 pm

I laugh when people just name random directors that should do this. Peter Jackson? The dude who has done a total of ZERO science fiction movies, no space movies, no fucking space ships. Sure, he did good battle scenes in the LOTR trilogy, but Star Wars???? C'mon

Brad Bird? The dude who has only done cartoons up til now???

cYnical

Post by cYnical » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:11 am

Bird did Mission Impossible IV. I have no idea if it's good, but it's definitely not a cartoon.

Besides, The Incredibles was so fucking awesome, I'd let him direct pretty much anything he wants.
die

Post by die » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:04 am

The only reason for Dark Knight Rises hate would be because the movie ate a handful of dicks.

Chris Nolan deserves painful cancer for it. He may not be M. Night Shaymalan,but he better hope we don't forget he did The Dark Knight.

It surprises me that the 3 original stars are on board so quickly. Well, I mean Carrie Fisher ain't got shit to do otherwise but Harrison Ford has always been a douche about his Han Solo role.

One thing about directors in this day and age is that they don't have the power they used to. So many investors, studio execs, etc have their weight. That's how Sam Raimi got his dick broke. There's too many people that don't know shit about directing protecting their investment. With a project this big, it depends on who is in control of it and what decisions are made, I'm sure the director will be limited in what he can and can't do.

The prequel trilogy had so many issues because George Lucas would make alot of dumb decisions and he was surrounded by crotchsniffing yes men.
There is another Skywalker....
cYnical

Post by cYnical » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 am

die wrote:One thing about directors in this day and age is that they don't have the power they used to. So many investors, studio execs, etc have their weight. That's how Sam Raimi got his dick broke. There's too many people that don't know shit about directing protecting their investment. With a project this big, it depends on who is in control of it and what decisions are made, I'm sure the director will be limited in what he can and can't do.
Truth. Just look at Green Lantern.

Kathleen Kennedy is in charge of the new Star Wars trilogy, though. That makes me feel a HELL of a lot better about this.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:47 pm

cYnical wrote:Bird did Mission Impossible IV. I have no idea if it's good, but it's definitely not a cartoon.
I stand by my statement.

and Die, I agree about directors having no clout, but I suspect that any big director coming into this will basically tell them to fuck off and keep out. Add Iron Man 2 to the list, Jon Favreau ninja vanished after non stop Disney/Marvel execs kept coming to him and telling him what to do. I can't see any director doing this Star Wars movie just laying down and letting them tell him what to do with it.

Technically, with something this big, I'd almost rather have a group effort, to ensure that there's some voting and proper discussion to avoid ewoks/jarjar's/etc. And maybe some Star Trek nerds so we can avoid stupidity like "why is the shield generator outside of the ship and easy to destroy?" or "how come the trade federation has a billion robots that can hold off entire cloned armies of Boba Fett's and only Jedi can take them out but in the future there are ZERO robot armies and the Boba Fett army is now missing and can't aim worth shit" or "how come there are rolling droids that can put up shields and the Jedi have zero fucking way of dealing with them yet they go mysteriously missing later too"

oh shit i smell burnt toast

cYnical

Post by cYnical » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:56 pm

I think one of the books explained the Stormtroopers' shitty aim. When you clone multiple generations without the original subject to clone from, the matter begins to break down. Eventually, each new generation is more and more retarded.
die

Post by die » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:09 pm

I think the movie industry has come to this because so many directors have been monumental letdowns. I mean, this dude Uwe Boll is so fucking horrid and his ego is out of control - yeah, this is the dude who gets his critics in the boxing ring and beats the shit out of them. Then you got shitfags like Eli Roth and M. Night who get all these accolades early on and then make shit movies.

As for the prequel trilogy, I like that it shows us early on in Episode 1 that the Jedi have lightning fast running skills then Qui Gon gets gutchecked with a lightsaber because Obi Wan can't run fast enough to get through the forcefield to save him. Nice.
SoVi3t

Post by SoVi3t » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 pm

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/rumour-di ... every-year

I really hope this is just a rumour.

die

Post by die » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Episode VII opens in the UK on 17 July 2015.
Damn, I didn't know they had an actual date.

But 2-3 movies a year is just insane, I'm really hoping they are counting animated versions like the Clone Wars or a new Christmas Special or something :lol:

This shit gets crazier and crazier.