STAR WARS EPISODE VII: GRANDPA'S BOY

My only wish is that TBS becomes the "Roadhouse" channel... then the circle will be complete
RobotJerk

Re: STAR WARS EPISODE VII: GRANDPA'S BOY

Post by RobotJerk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:22 am

die

Post by die » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:32 am

Well, to be fair, we did say the sky's the limit with Star Wars merch.

I'm not sure if anything is off limits now that Disney has the rights.
There is another Skywalker....
lionheart

Post by lionheart » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:00 pm

die wrote:
Yes, the basic concept was solid, but remember that basically all he did there was took the basic foundations of religion and mixed in Joseph Campbell's hero's journey and themes from the old black & white movies he grew up on. What I was saying before is that it took all of these other people who were great in their own fields to bring the movie to life. Avatar is another popular movie that gets criticized for doing the same thing (which they also plain to make into a saga of some sort).

And exactly why I question the "genius" of George Lucas. He's said in every interview that he ever did that the technology wasn't there to do what he wanted to do at the time. This is why he went back and ruined the original trilogy with stupid shit that looked fake or out-of-place.
Agreed.
Agreed, but you can't blame the actors for this... it's not like they just put in bad performances. Lucas was clearly writing dialogue and directing actors to be like the old serials. I mean, I've seen all of those actors put in decent performances in their careers. Jake Lloyd was just wrong for the role of Anakin, however he worked perfectly in Jingle All the Way. He came across more as a Home Alone Kevin McAlister character than THE FUTURE DARK LORD OF THE SITH. Go back and watch the casting in the special features, it was down to 3 kids.... Jake Lloyd, some fucking horrible squeaky toad child and a blonde kid that was absolutely perfect for the role. Even in the commentary, somebody mentions the cool underlying darkness that the blonde kid has then they just skip to a scene where Jake Lloyd has the part lol.

And as much as I completely LOVE Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan, go back and watch those movies again, they had him in some cringe worthy scenes with some dickslapping dialogue as well.

It didn't help matters that actors were in front of green screens talking to tennis balls on sticks.
I agree that both the casting AND dialogue were awful with both "Anakin" characters, but the actors also shat themselves. The entire vision Lucas had for Anakin was clearly annoying as fuck, too whiny, immature... just terrible. Could a good performance by Christiansen have saved the role entirely? Probably not, particularly given those atrocious scenes with Padme. We certainly won't know for sure.

McGregor is the best alternative there, where I think the actor did the best with horrific material. The fact that they were still speaking in absurd platitudes half the time makes it really hard as hell to convey actual human emotion, but watching any scene with the two of them convinces me Christiansen just wasn't good enough on his own.

Consider this scene, where you can actually enjoy both characters:

https://youtu.be/mm854yq38jY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then watch him drown when he has to carry his own weight with Palpatine:

https://youtu.be/sufkBRdROr4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-edit for tag fail
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"
die

Post by die » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Yes, that is a very fair account of the performances. The dialogue was very corny and forced at times, but extra especially anytime that you had Padme, Mace or Anakin on screen. The scene where Anakin and Padme have a talk about "I'm not the jedi I should be...I want more", it didn't even sound like they were talking to each other at all. Mace was just horrible, where he says to Anakin "a sith LORD?" extra super emphasis on LORD. Then when Mace fights Palpy, it shows a close-up where Mace is totally mean mugging. I mean, for a master, Mace seemed to have a shit ton of anger.

I thought the fight between Obi-Wan and Grievious was stupid, from the stupid dialogue to the crazy flipkicks and pseudo martial arts posing, etc.

Overall, I do agree with Red Letter Media and the dude that does the "What if Episode 1 was good" videos, the prequel trilogy clearly should've been all about Obi-Wan and have Anakin more as a smaller role. I really enjoyed Qui Gon as well, I thought he might have fucked Shmi Skywalker raw dog and dirty for sure.

It's crazy because if you just looked this stuff up on Wookieepedia, it all sounds pretty damned great but its the execution that kills it. Like, Boba Fett being an unaltered clone, etc.. sounds very Star Wars and cool but then you got an Australasian midget Joseph Gordon Levitt Hobbit going GET 'M DAD and preschooler Darth Vader beefing with giant head kid Greedo and then driving a sand jet ski going YIPPPPEEEE and two movies later going NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

verdict: fuck you George.
lionheart

Post by lionheart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:13 am

die wrote: It's crazy because if you just looked this stuff up on Wookieepedia, it all sounds pretty damned great but its the execution that kills it. Like, Boba Fett being an unaltered clone, etc.. sounds very Star Wars and cool but then you got an Australasian midget Joseph Gordon Levitt Hobbit going GET 'M DAD and preschooler Darth Vader beefing with giant head kid Greedo and then driving a sand jet ski going YIPPPPEEEE and two movies later going NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

verdict: fuck you George.

Bravo.
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:13 am

die

Post by die » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:48 pm

This one's for you RJ:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/lucasfilm- ... 03277.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:36 pm

die wrote:This one's for you RJ:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/lucasfilm- ... 03277.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's the hero the First Order needs, but not the one it deserves.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:38 pm

die

Post by die » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:28 am

So much win...soooo much.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:55 pm

RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:28 am

RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:44 am

die

Post by die » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Chewie Lewis just ransacked my apartment.

^ at first I thought her boob fell out and was dragging on the ground.
RobotJerk

Post by RobotJerk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:12 pm